What's new
What's new

Shipping a Shotgun

SIP6A

Titanium
I have a double barrel shotgun I want to ship. Can I break it down into the two parts and ship them on different days? Or do I need to do the shipping from1 FFL to another?

Unless it is a muzzle loader (or maybe a Damascus black powder gun [an antique]), it will have to be shipped to an FFL if it is going across state lines. If within a single state, you will have to check state law. I suppose you could ship the barrels direct as the receiver is "the gun" but that is just a guess. As I recall, the FFL needs to record the barrel length on the form so it will need to get to him one way or another.

In my past experience it depends on the purpose for shipping:

Shipping to a buyer across state lines requires involvement of a FFL at each end. As GGaskill says in-state shipping varies from state to state.

Shipping for repairs, etc can go directly to a bona fide gunsmith or manufacturer and come directly back to you. Call the gunsmith or manufacturer for current advice if that's your situation since it's been a few years since I've done something like this.

Interesting. The few times I've tried to ship something the FFLs on the other end wouldn't accept deliveries from a non-FFL; I had to find a FFL on my end.

Stuff I've shipped for gunsmith work only went direct but I had to prove to UPS the other end was a bona fide gunsmith.

Interesting. The few times I've tried to ship something the FFLs on the other end wouldn't accept deliveries from a non-FFL; I had to find a FFL on my end.

Stuff I've shipped for gunsmith work only went direct but I had to prove to UPS the other end was a bona fide gunsmith.

Some gunsmiths do not fully understand the laws, themselves, and choose to erect "better safe than sorry" policies that go above and beyond.

....Stuff I've shipped for gunsmith work only went direct but I had to prove to UPS the other end was a bona fide gunsmith.

UPS has no business asking for that. It is their policy, and not law, and they can pound sand. Actually, because they are what is called a "benevolent monopoly", they HAVE to ship it if it is legal. If you break the law by shipping to a non licensee, or a non licensee breaks the law by taking delivery as a gunsmith, that's your problem, not the shippers. There are some exceptions, like shipping to yourself for a hunting trip, but they are few.

One time after selling a stock on ebay, I stopped by UPS on the way home from work to ship it to the buyer. I described the contents of the box as a "gun stock". The lady at the counter refused to take the package, because "they don't ship guns". I knew she was wrong. I explained that it was not a gun. It was just a piece of wood, all to no avail. Rather than make a big stink about it, I just stopped again the next day with a printout of UPS policies in my pocket and the same box. After describing the contents as "wood stock". The same lady accepted the same package with a smile. Never needed the policies printout.

I've wondered if the words made all the difference, or if she got some education in the previous 24 hrs.

UPS has no business asking for that. It is their policy, and not law, and they can pound sand. Actually, because they are what is called a "benevolent monopoly", they HAVE to ship it if it is legal. If you break the law by shipping to a non licensee, or a non licensee breaks the law by taking delivery as a gunsmith, that's your problem, not the shippers. There are some exceptions, like shipping to yourself for a hunting trip, but they are few.

The OP IS the shipper.

You can ship long guns directly to an FFL via UPS (not USPS). It must be declared as a firearm at the counter so it will be handled as a High Value Package which means special treatment including locked cages for storage during transit.

It must be securely boxed and most importantly UNLOADED. UPS will ask. The FFL can ship directly back to you as long as you are the original owner of the gun. It will be shipped back Adult Signature Required.

Handguns must go FFL to FFL.

Note: I have shipped shotguns to FFL gunsmiths for both warranty repair and modifications so I know the process works.

PS: It must be delivered to a full service UPS service center, not a UPS Store or drop off due to the special handling requirements.

Edit: Also, other than the receiver which is an FFL item other parts such as gun stocks and barrels can go as ordinary packages. I have several friends who shipped barrels of older guns for screw-in choke installation.

You can ship long guns directly to an FFL via UPS (not USPS)...

US Mail is perfectly legal for long guns.

Between licensees only, US Mail is OK with a ps1508 form filled out by the shipper and presented to the postmaster or clerk at PO. They do not have to go FFL to FFL for SERVICE. A non licensee can ship to a FFL for service and receive back the same, however they cannot use the Post Office for handguns. UPS/FedEx OK

I ship and receive guns almost every week. About 50% of my re-barrels and repairs come and go via UPS, FedEx, and US. Mail.

I only use USPS for shipping weapons. UPS has been a joke for me.

Tale from previous employment... sent a rifle out to a customer. Customer never got it. UPS claimed delivered. Customer cries BS. UPS admits they lost it. UPS won't do anything to help find the lost rifle. Multiple arguments ensue. UPS doesn't help. We call ATF and get them involved. Suddenly UPS found the rifle. Sends it back to us so we can ship it to the customer. When we shipped it, it was a brand new gun. Came back with carbon fouling and not-so-white-anymore lithium grease inside. Funny, that.

Personally, UPS has been good to me. But the only firearm related horror story I experienced was with them, all the same.

US Mail is perfectly legal for long guns.

Between licensees only, US Mail is OK with a ps1508 form filled out by the shipper and presented to the postmaster or clerk at PO. They do not have to go FFL to FFL for SERVICE. A non licensee can ship to a FFL for service and receive back the same, however they cannot use the Post Office for handguns. UPS/FedEx OK

I ship and receive guns almost every week. About 50% of my re-barrels and repairs come and go via UPS, FedEx, and US. Mail.

Thanks for the corrections. I've never shipped a handgun for repair and thought the USPS prohibition was for all guns (bad info from a clerk).

You can ship long guns directly to an FFL via UPS (not USPS). It must be declared as a firearm at the counter so it will be handled as a High Value Package which means special treatment including locked cages for storage during transit.

It must be securely boxed and most importantly UNLOADED. UPS will ask. The FFL can ship directly back to you as long as you are the original owner of the gun. It will be shipped back Adult Signature Required.

Note: I have shipped shotguns to FFL gunsmiths for both warranty repair and modifications so I know the process works.

PS: It must be delivered to a full service UPS service center, not a UPS Store or drop off due to the special handling requirements.

Edit: Also, other than the receiver which is an FFL item other parts such as gun stocks and barrels can go as ordinary packages. I have several friends who shipped barrels of older guns for screw-in choke installation.

Handgun can be shipped by common carrier to a FFL by a non FFL

Only time a FFL is needed is to mail a handgun.

Back