What's new
What's new

shot out 30-06 should it be rechambered

oscer

Cast Iron
Hi fellas, I've had a Gre-tan '06 SS barrel for a while now. It was given to me by a match shooter,who fired over 3800 rounds through it and replaced it. After cleaning it today I noticed the rifling looks... well it doesn't look very deep compared to my factory Remington rifles with less than 500 rounds through them. The plan was to part the tenon off, fit it to a Remington receiver and rechamber, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. Is it common practice to rechamber a barrel with this many rounds through it?

How does it shoot? If you're happy with it, it's up to you. No one can really tell you how many rounds it will last before it goes to hell. Even shooting identical loads, barrels will vary a bit from one to the next. When you add in the uncertainty of pressure/velocity differences in loads, then it gets even more of a crap shoot.

If you're happy with the barrel now, and don't plan on shooting 1,000 rounds over the next year, I'd say to go ahead and use it.

Then again, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a new barrel, then I would say that barrel you have is damn-near sewer pipe and should be scrapped. ;)

Don't know, it was sent to me in a box. He replaced it cause accuracy went to crap. We were both thinking pushing the chamber forward gaining a "new" throat would solve a lot of the problem.

I have heard that the biggest effect on accuracy is the last few inches at the muzzle. If you do chambering all the time, a little time spent on a lost cause will not be a great loss. If doing the threading and chambering is a big deal for you, I would start off new.
There are a few people out there that rebore barrels, maybe a 338 or 35 is in your future?

I won't waste my time with set-backs anymore. You put as much effort into it as you would a new barrel and it may or may not give you anymore life.

Since it was a match barrel, I am assuming it is a pretty hefty profile and relatively long. What do you plan to use it for?

Set backs are always something of a gamble; new barrels less so. Comparing rifling depth between different manufacturers is not really relevant without knowing what the original dimensions were. Most of the bore wear is near the chamber and at the muzzle. See if you can measure the depth of the throat erosion and chamber past that. And take a quarter inch off the muzzle and recrown.

Setting it back is a sound practice if it's an essentially free barrel otherwise and you're burning your own time. Go for it!

You need a bore scope to really see how torched and the depth of the throat erosion. I have a 6.5x47L rifle with 4,747 rounds fired through it, even though the erosion is close to 3" long the barrel still will hold less then a 3/8" MOA on average. Even setting back my barrel a inch would never give me a good throat. You have to determine what your accuracy needs are before doing anything to your rifle.

Trying to resurrect a shot out match barrel is usually a lost cause for the amount of work or money. Only time I do set backs are midway through its life in between match seasons (if I have time) or for a practice barrel. Depends on what you want out of it.

You could always turn it into a 300 blackout AR barrel or an AR-10 or something. It can have other uses.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies folks,
It is a free barrel, I don't have a borescope. The barrel is about 30" long so I could cut about an inch and a half off the breech and 1/2" off the muzzle and recrown it and still have about 28" of pipe left.I'll only be using it to pop whitetails from the bench in my stand, so I think I'll give it a try and see what I end up with. I've never chambered a barrel before so it will be good practice,which was the original idea but I had hoped to end up with a decent shooting deer rifle when finished.

... I had hoped to end up with a decent shooting deer rifle when finished.

Go for it. That is likely an achievable goal.

... I had hoped to end up with a decent shooting deer rifle when finished.

Go for it. That is likely an achievable goal.

Yea, in that case, if all you care about is 2-3" at 100 yds, and you're starting with 30"... you could take it down to 22" and might be ok.

I just don't know that it's worth the work and effort vs a new barrel - especially if you don't need a "premium" barrel - just one good enough for hunting.

Thanks for the replies folks,
It is a free barrel, I don't have a borescope. The barrel is about 30" long so I could cut about an inch and a half off the breech and 1/2" off the muzzle and recrown it and still have about 28" of pipe left.I'll only be using it to pop whitetails from the bench in my stand, so I think I'll give it a try and see what I end up with. I've never chambered a barrel before so it will be good practice,which was the original idea but I had hoped to end up with a decent shooting deer rifle when finished.

That totally changes my opinion. Go for it.

Hi fellas, I've had a Gre-tan '06 SS barrel for a while now. It was given to me by a match shooter,who fired over 3800 rounds through it and replaced it. After cleaning it today I noticed the rifling looks... well it doesn't look very deep compared to my factory Remington rifles with less than 500 rounds through them. The plan was to part the tenon off, fit it to a Remington receiver and rechamber, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. Is it common practice to rechamber a barrel with this many rounds through it?

Under 4000 rounds I would normally expect rifling to still be in decent shape- but you say it doesn't look that way.

Set-back and re-chamber is sometimes done, but I'm not as quick to say "go for it" just because it's a "free" barrel. Isn't your time, worth $$? You'll be kicking yourself if you spend hours on the work- more than you'd spend on threading and chambering a new barrel- only to find out that the bore/rifling is worn to the point that it wan't a feasible project from the beginning.

If it were sent to me, I'd use a gage pin in the bore to determine if it's still .300- or if it's worn. If that shows excessive wear, I'd slug the barrel and mic it to determine the groove diameter as well. No point in all that work if it's now a .309-.310 groove barrel instead of .308. Like I said, unlikely- but that's based on your observation.

It's his first time chamberibg a barrel so the time wouldn't really be wasted anymore than if it attempted it on a piece of bar stock. The value of cutting a first chamber is worth more than time, in my opinion.

You need a bore scope to really see how torched and the depth of the throat erosion. I have a 6.5x47L rifle with 4,747 rounds fired through it, even though the erosion is close to 3" long the barrel still will hold less then a 3/8" MOA on average. Even setting back my barrel a inch would never give me a good throat. You have to determine what your accuracy needs are before doing anything to your rifle.

What? 3/8" MOA? :dunce:

What? 3/8" MOA? :dunce:

TD, the 3/8" moa was not a typo, this rifle I built including the receiver a few years back is/was a extremely accurate gun. Chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua with tight neck chamber and body in a Bertlein 1-8T 5r barrel. All bullets shot out of it were 139 Lapua scenar's over 45 reloads on the 100 brass I started with, they were only full length resized 2 times in all the loadings and they grew a total of .010 neck tension is .001 and loaded right up against the lead which grew over .070 when the barrel reached 4,500 shots. I have a new barrel blank waiting to be machined, but for the hell of it I am going to cut 3 inches off the 27 inch barrel and rechamber to see how the barrel will shoot. The bore scope shows 3 inches of the throat well eroded and its amazing that a bullet passing over this rough area can still group well under 1/2 moa at 100 yards, but after 25 shots that eroded area is heavily coppered. The black dots on the targets are 1/2" as a reference for group sizes, at the upper right of each target is the barrel round count for that day. P.S. it cost close to $2,500 to burn that barrel out, and once I cut off 3 inch of the chamber and throat I will machine a sectional view of all the erosion and post it.6.51.jpg6.52.jpg6.52.jpg

Back