What's new
What's new

shotgun chamber and pressure question

Same

There is not a significance difference in the chamber geometries associated with the shell case opening on discharge.

Might be "some" difference, but less than shot to shot variations due to load and powder burn.

If the loads were supposed to have the same (equal) pressures, as loaded, then that is what they would have, as the pressure is really working against the crimped or rolled portion of the case, and bringing the mass of the shot column up to speed.

I would expect, if a 1/4 extra inch of chamber length was going to make a difference of any discernible nature, that the differences between the chambering and barrel dimensions of the various makers would play a much larger role than we hear about.

Cheers
Trev

Most standard shotgun powders are so fast burning that the peak pressure may be before the shot leaves the mouth of the shell (don't know this for sure, just a speculation.) The forcing cone of the 2 3/4" chamber is a 1/4" closer to the shell than the 3" chamber and that will be the next resistance point. So my guess is the short shell in the long chamber will have slightly lower pressure but it won't change the ballistics very much.

Most standard shotgun powders are so fast burning that the peak pressure may be before the shot leaves the mouth of the shell (don't know this for sure, just a speculation.) The forcing cone of the 2 3/4" chamber is a 1/4" closer to the shell than the 3" chamber and that will be the next resistance point. So my guess is the short shell in the long chamber will have slightly lower pressure but it won't change the ballistics very much.
Pressures are, as has been said, slightly lower, but not enough to matter.

Squire

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, Tahlequah OK

Back