What's new
What's new

gouges in revolver barrel

targetshootr

Plastic
I've had this barrel on hand for awhile because I'm not sure what to do with it. It's off a somewhat rare old model Ruger single action so it may be worth trying to fix. It looks like someone used the bottom of it as a hammer or rested it on a hard surface when shooting. It would be great if the damage can be repaired or hidden somehow but I have no clue where to begin.

DSCN5324.jpg

Not sure if it'll work on not but I wonder about skim coats of JB Weld in the holes then sanding them smooth? Not sure if bluing would cover up any color difference or not.

Topstrap

A good gunsmith welder with a low current capable inverter TIG machine could fill in the digs. Then it would have to be draw-filed back to shape and polished. There is no guarantee that hot blue would cover the weldments. Rust blue would cover, but is it worth it?

RWO

Depending on the intended use, I would consider using some autobody filling techniques then coat the barrel with a bake on powder paint to give it a uniform flat black finish. Even a rough job will look OK a few feet away.

My thoughts for your consideration.

Back