What's new
What's new

Min FFL required to make replacement part for myself?

Winterfalke

Stainless
I have a Hi Standard Sentinel with a broken trigger assembly. The original appears to be machined from an aluminum casting, and does not have a lot of critical features. It also has a badly designed stress point; the lever that raises the hammer in DA mode is connected through a pair of aluminum tabs only 1/8 x 3/16 thick. When the trigger guard was broken, all the stress of pulling the trigger gous through these points.

Trigger frame small.jpg

I would like to reproduce this part out of titanium or carbon steel, and bulk up the web around the trigger. I am confident I can reproduce all the geometry within working tolerances, but I am not a gunsmith. What certifications or permits do I need to do this legally? Is there a cheap or base-level gunsmithing class that I can take? My biggest concern is staying on the good side of the ATF, and preventing the shop I work in from having any liability. I am a fairly experienced machinist, and I have been shooting and studying gun design for decades. I also have engineered a number of parts for the military simulation and aircraft maintenance fields, so I do have some idea what I am doing. I am in the Orland area in Florida, if that helps.

No licensing is required, It is just another part.
Making a new one from a piece of steel will provide you with a much stronger part than the original.
The original castings weren't very good to begin with.

Agree with previous posting.
No FFL required if your not makeing the frame/ reciever.
The part with the serial # is what you need a licence to make.
That varies from design to design, but I think your in the clear on this one.

If your in question about how a gun part is classified, and want to verify that the part your making is not the reciever/ frame is to go to Numrich or one of the dealers in second hand gun parts and see if you can buy it without and FFL.

Consider what your time is worth and what a replacement part would cost from one of the usual suspects.
You might be time and money ahead to sway parts and go on.
It would certanly be a good learning opertunity to make the parts yourself.
Either route will not make the gun any worse than it already is.
Just remember, DA guns can be a bit touchy about timing.
Be very carefull about geting your holes in accurately.

If you model this, I would love to get a copy of your file, since I have the same gun, with the same problem (only the bottom portion cracked currently) that my late father left me, and I've been meaning to do the same thing when I got the time.

Back