What's new
What's new

Ithaca Lewis Main V Spring

Dennis Hensen

Plastic
Hi I am looking for a main V spring for a Ithaca Lewis, does anyone know were I could find one and if not, how about ideas on how to go about making one? What type of steel would you use and how to harden it and to what degree of hardness. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Dennis

I made one a few months ago for a Crass or Lewis; depends on whose serial number chart you use. I am not knowledgeable enough to know the difference in the two.

I used flat spring stock from Brownells. Brownells also has instructions for heat treating. It would help if you had one(or more) of the old gunsmithing books from people like Dunlap, Baker or Howe.

If you want more info, ask and I will try to help or maybe some of the "real" gunsmiths will chime in.

Rick

Yes I do have the broken one and one good one to copy for the shape I will take a pic. and post it later. It is not just a flat piece bent into a v each of the v legs is tapered continously from were it is folded over.

Dennis

That taper is sometimes refered to as a "buggy whip"taper and definately affects the action of the spring. When bending the vee, bend it around something, the bend must not be a sharp vee.

If yours is like mine, there is a radius on one corner of the leg that goes in the action. It is important for positioning and is opposite for each side(mirror image).

Rick

Try this page at Wisner's. They show 4 Ithaca Mainsprings in the discontinued parts page. Doesn't say what model they are for, but you could email, or call them to see if they have a Lewis for you. A tad easier than making one for sure. Good luck! Joe

Wisner's Gun Parts

Back