What's new
What's new

Wandering Handgun Scope

Captain

Aluminum
I recently put a Burris 2 x 20 scope on my Super Redhawk .44. Problem is I cannot get to scope to stop floating around in the rings. The ring caps are not bottomed out, and I tightened the screws as much as I dare without stripping them out. One book I have suggested using "rosin" in the scope rings. What is "rosin" and where would I get it? Has anyone used thread-locker or any other adhesive/sealant? How about some kind of tape? Thanks.

Captain, rosin is just dried pine tree pitch, music stores have it in blocks used for violin strings. Some gun smith suppliers sell it used on barrel wrenches to stop slipping during barrel removeal.I believe some sports use it mabey basketball or rock climbing.It really helps to stop things from slipping.There are also magnum pistol ring out there, multiple screws, multipal rings. Good luck Butch

Have you tried lapping the rings ?? That may give you a LOT more contact area. It is not hard to do at all, simply machine a 1" dia aluminum rod about 2x the length of the span between the rings, paint some clover on it and slide and rotate it until the rings clean up.

If you have never done this you may be amazed at how bad they often can be, mis-alingment bends the scope tube when you tighten the rings.

lapping the rings is nice too if you want to shim the rear base to get more elevation adjustment.

Bill

Try www.prone2success.com for lapping rods. I have both sizes, and find them to be a lot better than the hsorter ones from Brownells or Sinclair.

When lapping, I have found rings usually have 10%-50% contact before, and 80%-90% contact after lapping. For me, the problem of scope movement always occurred on my 12 ga slug gun.

I also tried putting a third ring on the scope body as a stop collar.

Thanks Mr. Crivea. What is surgar? I ordered some Clover compound to lap the rings with. I think I will still use some LockTite though. Any tips for applying it? Should I coat the entire inner surface of the rings or just add a drop?

I saw this years ago in an article in Guns & Ammo and I've used it ever since.
Find a store that sells electrical supplies and get a can of that stuff the guys use to seal outside connections.
It's a thick brown compound that never hardens. One can will last till you are an old man.
When it dries, it stays the consistancy of a rubber tire.
Put just a small amount on the rings, top and bottom. This will squish out and completely fill any voids and I will guarantee that the scope will not move in those rings again.
Of course you must make sure the base screws are good and tight and make SURE they are not bottomed out.

Back