What's new
What's new

Spanish Mauser Follower

peter nap

Aluminum
I picked up a clunker Spanish Mauser in a trade about a year ago. I intended to make it into a beater (it won't take much)

It's a .308 so I worked up some light loads, checked the head space and took it to the range. It shoots surprisingly well.

The problem is that the first round in the magazine doesn't lock against the rail. Every other round is fine and feeding is good. When I get to that last round it just rolls around.

The rail seems OK and the other rounds lock to it fine so it seems that the follower must be the problem. Has anyone else heard of this happening.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Peter,

My 1936 (sporterized) Sp.M fires rounds 1 thru 5 just fine, or any other quantity loaded into it. But then, I'm using El Cheapo 8mm milsurp rounds. Dirty stuff, but every shot hits the target.

Maybe the extractor is either in the way from the last of the previous load, or wont fully get out of the way for the last of the current load. Just a newbies guess... Check out this link:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/surplusrifle?forum=19

You may have a weak spring, but most likely a burr or mismatch of the magazine well, causing the follower to hand up.

Is it a small ring or 98 Mauser?

Blair

It's a small ring Blair. A model 93. These were re chambered to .308 and from what I've heard, have a history of feeding problems of one sort or the other.

One fellow told me he just gave up and used his as a single shot. I'm still playing with the idea of modifying it to take a removable magazine. I did that with a 98 once. Another project to get to.

They were marginal with .308 loads as a steady diet, so I have heard, but I have not had problems with the couple I bought over the years. The receivers are soft however, softer than the 98's. Never checked the case hardening. I wounder where they got the barrels. Mine had used barrels that most likely were Israeli ones that they got when Israel quit re-barreling the German Mauser's.

Anyone know about that?

Good luck with the magazine feed project. Since I'm a target shooter, I rarely load anything in the mag. I always load single shot, so feeding or capacity is not an issue

Blair

All the 95 mousers that I have seen after the barells have been romoved have had the lugs set back even the ones that just fired 7mm all its life. that said I know of one that has been built to .458 2in using 45-70 loads and it feeds very good. sorry kida off the 308 topic but relavent

As long as this has come back to the top, your problem may be caused by the different taper of the .308 versus the 7mm Mauser. The 7x57 has more taper so the magazine walls may need to be moved out a little to get the same relationship between cartridge and action rail. The .308 is about .020" larger (diameter) at the shoulder than a 7x57 at the same length. The walls probably are thick enough that the change could be simply milling a taper on the inside that would match the new cartridge. It would cut into the walls only .010" at the shoulder of the .308.

Back