What's new
What's new

My first "product"

kletzenklueffer

Plastic
I posted the initial thread on this in the general forum to get more views when I was looking for advice. Well, time has passed and the project is going, so I thought I'd post here for a look-see.

Here's the initial thread...
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=177487

I ended up getting some free 303 stainless bar stock. After much discussion with my instructor on the various ways to cut the threads (buy/make a tap or use a boring bar) I settled with a tap. It wasn't cheap, but will pay for itself easy enough.

So I started by knurling about 5" of the bar, then drilling with 1/2" drill, then ran the tap in and turned off each piece a bit oversize. On the other end of the bar, I turned it down a bit and single point a 13.5x1LH mandrel to screw the thread protectors on to face them and cut to finished size. I rounded the muzzle end with a file to clean it up and profile it.

Then I sprayed them with gunkote satin black and baked them.

I had posted on sigforum to gauge interest and got a few hits. One of the guys e-mail me back then, so I let him know they were done and he bought my first one. He replied and is very pleased. I just posted them for sale last night, so maybe I'll move a few more soon enough.

Anyway, here's a few pics:

threadprotectors.jpg

tpmuzzleend.jpg

tpinstalled.jpg

Looks nice, they should go over well with the NFA crowd. You may try selling them on Silencertalk.com or maybe even Uzitalk.com, its free and both are full with people that might have a use for them.

Try offering them with a threaded barrel, that would appeal to those who have a sig w/o a threaded barrel and are into the "tacticool" part of looking like they could someday have a surpressor.

You don't need an FFL to sell barrels.

Mr. M4- I'm selling them for $20 shipped first class, or $23 for priority.

oneeyedmac- I have a friend that sells suppressors and such. I've talked to him about selling to him in bulk, so he can include the protectors with the barrels he sells.

There are plenty of guys that sell the barrels, so instead of competing against them, I'd rather offer them a solution to the lack of a thread protector for a low cost, and they can include it with the barrels for a small additional charge.

I've got an oppurtunity to work at a local precision rifle shop. I'm hoping to work out a deal to do some of my own work after hours with the owner as well.

With the barrels, it's hard to get a good price without an FFL. You basically have to pay retail and may get a deal on quantity.

Back