Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: stuck bullets - a tale of an idiot.

metalmaster10 is offline Hot Rolled

Quote Originally Posted by moaprecision View Post
    I once had a Dan Wesson .357 revolver come in with 5 bullets lined up in the bore. Since the barrel is a removable cylindrical liner, I figured to chuck it in the lathe, drill out close to bore diameter, and melt out the rest. Well, when the drill pierced thru the first bullet, the compressed air trapped between them blew out along the drill flutes and I about jumped out of my skin. Was prepared for it on the next one, but a week after the problem, the bore plugs were still holding good pressure. Believe it or not, Worst damage to the gun was a bent crane, replaced by factory at no charge.

Tom
    Did you ask him why he stopped with 5?
    Didn't he have room for a few more? Heck, reload and shove in another 6 while your at it, maybe one would break em lose.

This seems to be more of a trend than I thought.

customcutter is offline Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by ronan View Post
    Whats that old saying , " if you make something foolproof you just breed a new generation of fools" surely the brass cases would rupture or he would notice something the gases escaping out if the safety port ?
    I used to tell them at my old job in the corporate world, "You can't make anything idiot proof for a sufficiently talented idiot!"

CC
    ronan likes this.

moaprecision is offline Aluminum

I'm sure he woulda kept going, but number 5 got stuck between the forcing cone and cylinder and the hammer wouldn't come back. That is why he brought it in. Had no clue his bullets weren't leaving the bore. He just said "I was shootin and it just froze up." The only reason more blowups don't happen is because usually the squibs can't produce enough pressure to blow. But God help ya if you put a full-power cartridge behind a stack of bullets!

mnguns is offline Plastic

Not sure if you will think this tops that but a guy brought a Ruger revolver in a couple of months ago with a bullet stuck at the muzzle end and one between the cylinder and barrel. After getting the cylinder free there was another bullet in that end of the barrel. After much work and all the bullets were removed it turned out there were seven bullets stuck it the gun. Ruger GP100 357 with a 3"barrel. Handloads. but the thought that he reloaded is well?
    What can be said, other than Darwin was trying!

Claude Wright is offline Cast Iron

Default stuck bullets - a tale of an idiot.

You melt out and hammer out with a squib rod and you can drill out after the owner hammer the bullet in on both sides.

Centered in four jaw and ground down a twist drill smmoth except for tip.
    .25 caliber, used a 17/32 bit that I had ground down for this purpose.

Ian Robertson is offline Aluminum

Great to hear stories from guys like Speer about this stuff who have done it for so many years. Reminds me that I am just a beginner!

gwilson is offline Diamond

We got some reloads in .38 cal. done by some shit head who apparently reloaded for the police. Some of the damned rounds went off normally,and some went off like a .357 magnum. I was shooting a S&W model 10 w/4" bull barrel. I fired a round and nothing happened(I was wearing ear muffs). But,I noticed a small curl of smoke came out the front of the cylinder. So,I opened the gun and looked down the barrel. Sure enough,a bullet was half way down it. The jerk hadn't put powder into the shell. Good thing I wasn't doing any rapid firing. I had to take the gun and push the bullet out. I haven't shot any more of that screwed up bunch of ammo. Pissed me off that all the re loader had done was screw up 1000 shells with single or double loads,or no load at all. I need to pull the bullets out and start over on that bunch.

My gunsmith and co worker Jon had gotten pistols so brim full of bullets that the last one fired stuck between the barrel and cylinder,at which point the dickhead shooter could not fire the gun any more!!!

A friend and I were shooting. He had new Winchester factory ammo 30-30. One did not fire. I cautioned him to not shoot any more and examine the rifle. A bullet had gone half way down the barrel on the primer alone.

wpnfxer is offline Plastic

I have a Uberti Cattleman and Schofield 45LC barrel's around here somewhere that the customer's stacked 5 or 6 Jacketed bullets in. I'll try and find them and post some pic of them with the sides milled out.

manualmachinist is online now Hot Rolled

Here is A photo a friend sent me..a .308 Win chambered and fired in a 25/06. blown-up-rifle.jpg

bgrafsr is offline Aluminum

Good thread. Here is a recent episode my cousin and I had:

My cousin called me yesterday morning and said a friend of his was coming to the shop with his Model 28, that had a few bullets stuck in the bore. I went over to the shop to help and after his friend arrived, we looked at the gun. We could see a bullet lodged in the bore about an inch down from the muzzle, and there was a bullet lodged between the rear of the barrel and the cylinder, so it could not be opened.

Our first attempt was to try and remove the first bullet with a bullet puller used to removed a stuck ball from a muzzle loader, but that didn't work even after several tries. We then decided to try and drive the bullets back further into the bore to see if we could get the bullet stuck between barrel & cylinder pushed back into the cylinder, so it could be opened. No luck.

Decided to drill out the bullets, which were full metal jacketed with a flat point, so my cousin turned a rod to fit the bore and drilled a .250" hole through it for a 1/4" drill bit. After a very long, slow time, we were able to finally bore into the last stuck bullet between the b&c. I then used a rubber mallet and after striking the right side of the cylinder with a few raps, the bullet was sheared in two and the cylinder was able to be opened. There were three empty cases and one loaded round in the cylinder. The owner stated he thought the rounds had no powder in them, but I pulled the bullet from the loaded round and that one had a dose of Unique in it. Luckily, I guess, that round could not be fired due to the lodged bullet keeping the cylinder from turning.

I brought the gun home and and using my barrel removal tools, removed the barrel from the frame. From what I can tell, there are at least 5 or six bullets in the barrel. The owner had apparently shot more rounds than he had thought.

I'm going to take the gun back to the shop this morning to see what we can do to remove the bullets, but if we have no luck, I just happen to have another 6" barrel that I can install to get the gun, a Model 28-2, back into working order. I soft fitted the barrel last night, but I will have to remove approx. .0004" from the barrel shoulder & ejector rod shroud to get it to time correctly, and I then have to set the barrel/cylinder gap, which means re-cutting the forcing cone too. No big deal as my cousin's shop is a fully equipped machine shop, with lots of wonderful toys, err I mean machinery, and I have the necessary tools & gages to do the job.

I put the barrel with the bullets in it into a container filled with Kroil, and it's been soaking since last evening, so we're hoping this will help with getting the bullets out. We can see no evidence of barrel bulging, but we won't know for sure until we can get the bullets removed, if that will be possible.

Okay, here goes:

He was loading ammo on a progressive press, and when he would come to a case that had no powder, he was still putting a bullet into it, and after the round exited the press, he would set the bad rounds aside. Why he did not just remove the case with no powder from the press, we're not sure. Anyways, the rounds got mixed up with some good reloads and consequently the barrel got plugged with bullets.

We took a piece of aluminum, turned it down in a lathe to fit the bore, took a thick piece of aluminum plate and drilled a hole in it that the barrel shank would fit into, and went at it. Hammering on the aluminum rod did no good, except to squeeze the bullets tighter into the bore. Back to the drill, which was used to clean out the hole that had already been made through the bullets. We ended up using an arbor press, more drilling, etc., etc.. After about an hour of this we finally got the last bullet jammed into the barrel to come free. We removed 5 jacketed bullets from the bore.

I cleaned the bore, got the last remnants of bullet jacket out of it, and found that the bore was not ringed and the barrel was not bulged. It looked great. I re-installed the barrel and the gun is good to go. I did clean up the forcing cone a tiny bit and it gages perfectly, and there was no damage to the b/c gap, which I expected to be okay to begin with.

We had heard about a procedure that involved using steam to remove the bulIets, apparently from hydraulic pressure, but didn't want to do that to remove them. My cousin and another friend who was there to help also thought the barrel could be put in the heat treat oven, turned up to 650 or 700 degrees, and let the lead melt out. I told them it would not be good for the barrel or finish and that idea went by the wayside. We also thought about using mercury to get the lead out, but decided not to do that either. For the time we have into it, we figure about $200.00 to $300.00 for labor & machines, but he won't be charged anything, except that he had to buy 5 raffle tickets from the gun club my cousin & I belong to. Who knows, he may get lucky again, and win one of the guns being raffled off.

As for me, I get to keep my spare Model 28-2 barrel.

Eagle_view is offline Aluminum

Several years ago when Glock first fielded a 40S&W pistol, I was up at the gun range working on some 357 Herret loads. One fellow comes in and sets up a couple of benches down with his range box full of 1911 pistols and we continue to shoot this fine summer morning. Pretty soon another fellow comes on to the range and dithers around with what looked like all new gear. He asks where he can shoot so I give him a brief lesson on range rules and set him up the other side of a dividing berm in the next 5 bench bay because my TC might bother him. He shows me a brand new Glock 40 and pulls out what looks to be a couple of 100 round boxes of reloads. I leave him to fuss on his side of the berm. We continue to shoot for a while when I notice that our new range partner was fussing around behind me with his Glock in hand and the slide was forward. I lay my pistol down and turn to ask him what he needed. He replied that his slide would not retract and his pistol would not fire. I brought him up to the bench next to the one I was using and proceeded to examine the pistol. He started saying that he had been told not to buy a Glock that they were not as good as the gun magazines were saying. The slide would only retract enough that I could with some force get the slide off. There was a large bulge where the slide had locked up. Looking through the barrel I was amazed to see all the way through but you could see where a bullet had been shot through . He told us that he had bought the Glock and a Lee progressive reloader but had never shot a handgun before nor had he ever reloaded anything thing before. We surmised that he had fired a squib load that had lodged in the barrel and had manually racked the slide because he thought that it had not picked up a round when he didn't feel the recoil. When he fire the next round it had shot through the previous bullet bulging the barrel and locking his slide. We told him to go buy a LOTTO ticket because he was the luckiest guy we knew that day.

Just say it takes all types.

Lowsell

Anvil Jenkins is offline Hot Rolled

As far as a stuck bullet causing excessive pressures. Many smaller ctg seem to develop the highest pressure maybe before the bullet even leaves the cartridge case. There was some argument about how the 1911 works, after 100 years some guy wrote a book advancing a new theory of operation. Well part of the proof that Browning was right involved a test rig with a long rod down the barrel to prevent any bullet movement of the 45 acp bullet. No apparent overpressure occurred.

I recall when S&W came out with the revolvers that had a TI cylinder one magazine article said they made a blank barrel up with no bore, screwed it into the frame and fired the whole cylinder with no damage to the cylinder or frame. I remarked to a pistolsmith I know about the article, and quite correctly pointed out that the peak pressure in 38 special may be while the bullet is still in the cylinder.

At some case capacity the pressure peak moves down the barrel, and we see the spectacular rifle type blowups...and some of that too is when a portion of the barrel well forward of the chamber is exposed by an obstruction to a higher pressure than it can withstand, the ones where the bore sighter is left in the muzzle and the gun is fired illustrate this.
    Exploding Deer Rifle -
    Rob F. likes this.

Rob F. is offline Stainless

The exploded 44 mag is something to see in the link.
    "seeing in all the excitement I dont know if 3 or four rounds exploded in the cylinder, blowing the top clean off"
    Sorry for a bad Dirty Harry impersonation but I could not resist
    Rob

Kiwi 'smith Dean is offline Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by JBCGUNS View Post
    Phone rings 10minutes ago:

Me: "G'day, Jeff Speaking". It's still morning over here and I'm still quite cheery.
    Client: "Hi, I have a problem with my Brno .22."
    Me: "Right, What's it doing? ..let me guess, not extracting?, not ejecting?
    Client: "No, it's not shooting".
    Me: Ah, OK. Might be a firing pin - In which case I have one here, if not could just be a problem with the brand of Ammo you're using but I'll have to have a look at it.
    Client. "No I mean, it's firing but the bullet ain't coming out the barrel."
    Me: "Oh, shit. .. ...a stuck bullet?"
    Client: "More than one I think. Hang on let me check".

Long seconds pass waiting to the sound of jingling brass on a table top and barely audible counting. I take the opportunity to take a bite out of my half finished donut. Phone picks up again:

Client: "You still there?"
    Me: "Yes mate". I say while chewing, How many? I sheepishly ask.
    Client: "eleven"........... Donut now hard to swallow.
    "Any ideas on how to get them out."

Me: "Mate, Did you try firing another shot?? - JUST KIDDING , JUST KIDDING!- DO NOT FIRE ANOTHER SHOT!
    Bring it in and I'll see what I can do".

So guys, How much pressure will it take to push out eleven stuck low velocity lead bullets???

JB
    Ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaa!! Classic!

JB, please take a pic of the 'client' and post it to this thread just for a few more laughs! I'm picking he's wearing jandals (thongs if you're Aussie), stubbies, and a stained XXXX singlet!!!

Cheers,

D.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi 'smith Dean View Post
    Ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaa!! Classic!

JB, please take a pic of the 'client' and post it to this thread just for a few more laughs! I'm picking he's wearing jandals (thongs if you're Aussie), stubbies, and a stained XXXX singlet!!!

Cheers,

D.
    He he he he he he

Up here that would be sweat pants with holes in them, old runners, a ball cap like the one Jesse James wears with an over sized bill that's turned up and a T shirt that reads (I'm with stupid) and the guy came in alone. LOL

quasi is online now Stainless

speerchucker, add a big pot belly and you just described ME!

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    speerchucker, add a big pot belly and you just described ME!
    I thought you sounded like one of my customers. But I had thought all of you Cow Pattys had got drowned out? he he

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12