What's new
What's new

case hardening sears/hammers on double guns

trumpeterjack

Plastic
I have never worked on sears or hammers (tumblers) before, but I believe that they both should be at least case hardened or hardened through, isn't that correct, meaning that they cannot be easily cut with a common file, is this correct? I have a pair of sears with hammers, that can be filed, so I believe that they are a bit on the soft side, so should be case hardened, at least, so I am thinking about case hardening them with Kasenite, do you think that would be the most appropriate thing to do?

Only if you know the type of metal the parts to be harden are made from. You know what temp the parts have to be before you plunge them into the powder.

But this is not the best way. Oven tempering and drawing back is the best way. Again you have to know what metal your parts are made from.

Over thirty years ago we bought .69 caliber Jap pirate style pistols copied from English naval designs. These had seamed barrels and soft frizzens (or hammers, for the period purist). I hardened those with casenit and they produced a spark. Irregular technique but it worked. Try it. Metal analysis is not an issue with cheapo rotgut hammers. Most seemed to be either some sort of forgings or castings. Try an odd hammer if you can find one.

Kasenit will work, but the problem is that the case is very thin. If the gun is used much, the case will wear through and the trigger pull will suddenly get harder and will deteriorate from there. Double treatment with Kasenit will help, but the real answer is pack hardening in a proper furnace.

RWO

Lo Tech, "Old Fashioned" Case Hardening Technique

Twenty years ago I had one of those replic Charleville Flintlock Muskets sold by Navy Arms. The frizzen wouldn't spark worth a darn.

I took the frizzen off the musket, wrapped it tight as I could in an old LEATHER (not the synthetic stuff, but REAL leather) belt. Then I wadded a big ball of aluminum foil around it.

Put the thing in my fireplace. built a big fire, (using kindling and firewood) on top of it. The fire burned for several hours.

The next day I took the ball of aluminum foil out of the cold ashes. The foil crumbled away wlong with the remains of the leather belt.

The firzzen was a gray color. I cleaned it up and it SPARKED WONDERFULLY and continues to do so!

Back