What's new
What's new

Is there a best guess for what recoil buffers are made from?

Trboatworks

Diamond
I need to make up some recoil buffers which are used in a semi auto match pistol.

I have some samples but as they are quite old I cannot trust what the intended give is in the material (these seem like hard plastic).
These particular buffers are for the Sako Triace match pistol in .22 lr.

Here is one:

image.jpg

Here is installation diagram(#74):

image.jpg

Thanks all

I need to make up some recoil buffers which are used in a semi auto match pistol.

I have some samples but as they are quite old I cannot trust what the intended give is in the material (these seem like hard plastic).
These particular buffers are for the Sako Triace match pistol in .22 lr.

Here is one:

View attachment 209941

Here is installation diagram(#74):

View attachment 209942

Thanks all

I have no experience with that particular pistol, but most buffers are polyurethane. The durometer varies from soft (probably 30-ish) to pretty hard (~60) with the hard ones lasting the longest and the soft ones having the best feel to the shooter.

GsT

This may/may not help but we used to use a pour-able urethane compound from Devcon called Flexane that was fast curing and available in 30-90 durometer for nesting in secondary tooling operations. Make a mold out of plaster, wax, or even cardboard and pour the stuff in. Set a small light bulb next to it to help with the cure and you can experiment with different compounds to find the right hardness. They make many different compounds and the stuff worked great for temporary applications.

This may/may not help but we used to use a pour-able urethane compound from Devcon called Flexane that was fast curing and available in 30-90 durometer for nesting in secondary tooling operations. Make a mold out of plaster, wax, or even cardboard and pour the stuff in. Set a small light bulb next to it to help with the cure and you can experiment with different compounds to find the right hardness. They make many different compounds and the stuff worked great for temporary applications.

Thanks for that- these look to be injection molded so something along those lines could work.
These are worth about a penny but unobtainable.

Yep, it's never about what it cost to make something. It's about what it's worth to you when you need one. Rather than fab up a detailed mold you could even just create a blank of poured rubber/urethane to machine (grind) to finished dimensions. I have a few other tips if you decide to use the stuff, contact me off list and I'd be glad to offer what I know.

As another footnote; I used this same pour-able urethane to make suspension bushings for an old car that were no longer available. I made the molds out of clay, some out of plaster, and some out of wax just to test the process. The results were varied for the molds but the rubber/urethane worked just fine. They make more than just rubber/urethane compounds too. A properly molded/machined piece is almost always better but it sure can help for some applications.

Back