What's new
What's new

Is there a reason that no one using 416 Stainless Steel to make a momocore baffle

remmag1012

Plastic
I am new here but I can not find an answer anywhere. I have made a couple silencers for a .22 LR and an AR-15 in 5.56. (Both Monocore designs) I am getting ready to make a monocore design for a 300 Win. Mag. Is there a reason that no one using 416 Stainless Steel to make a momocore baffle

Why would you want to? There are no advantages to its use. Mass is a big issue with anything hanging on the end of a barrel and any way to reduce inertia is a plus. Steel in any alloy would be inappropriate.

There is no significant difference in density of stainless steels and others. What do others make them from if not 416?

A long gone forum member said the best life on baffles was ones made of copper. If he was right it may be the best choice for an over bore rifle.

Snipers like suppressors on .50 BMG I read, keeps the dust down and along the way the sonic crack doesn't show direction like a big kaboom and 1/2 acre of dust in the air does.

Snipers like suppressors on .50 BMG I read, keeps the dust down and along the way the sonic crack doesn't show direction like a big kaboom and 1/2 acre of dust in the air does.

Yeah, there is big difference between suppressed or not even with supersonic loads.

Suppressors are really common around here on hunting guns, saves your ears on .338LM and helps somewhat with the recoil.

BR reflex suppressors are probably most common:
http://guns.connect.fi/rs/

Supersonic load with good suppressor is weird sounding, like a whip crack that you hear bit from every direction.

yup 300 win mag in Al won't last long.
Titanium comes to mind.
4140 is much cheaper.

300 series stainless like 303 or 304 has much better rust resistance. 416 or 420 can be heat treated if you want it harder, or 17-4 PH is the other thing some guys go with. Titanium will save you a bit of weight, but they will still erode - not as bad as aluminium, but not as good as stainless either. It's always a compromise between weight, durability, and effectiveness.......... and cost !!!

I'm trying to find the thread, I remember seeing someones 416 mono core that was experiencing significant erosion on a Magnum. They didn't heat treat it, they had rebuilt the core with 716 inconel and the problems went away. I typically use 716 or 17-4 on center fire rifles. I don't have any magnums at the moment to judge from. Hopefully I'll get around to a 6.5gap next year.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yeah, there is big difference between suppressed or not even with supersonic loads.

Suppressors are really common around here on hunting guns, saves your ears on .338LM and helps somewhat with the recoil.

BR reflex suppressors are probably most common:
http://guns.connect.fi/rs/

Supersonic load with good suppressor is weird sounding, like a whip crack that you hear bit from every direction.

This is why there is an effort in the U.S. to change the laws regarding suppresssors. The downrange sonic cracks are likely far enough away from the hunter to not be an issue for hearing loss. At supersonic speeds the game can't hear them before it is too late.

Silencers don't silence, there just a muffler. Yes my 22's with subs are nearly silent, but the typical CF weapon will have 20-30db reduction, still over 100db. I love it when the whole squad I'm in at a match has cans on.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Back