What's new
What's new

Those in Utah who have built double rifles using Ellis Browns book

Ti44

Plastic
I have wanted to do this project for a while now, but having just received my machining certificate back in September, and having no gunsmithing experience or any machines of my own, I am in need of help here. I am looking for anybody in Utah (Utah county preferably) who has used Eliss Brown's book to build a double rifle on a shotgun action. Barring that, I am looking for someone who does gunsmithing that can help me figure it out. I am looking to be taught, as I want to have the knowledge and skills so I can improve myself. As others have said about the book, there are a lot of things that are unexplained, and I am not the most confident person as it is. If there is anybody who is willing to help teach me please let me know. Thanks.

I have wanted to do this project for a while now, but having just received my machining certificate back in September, and having no gunsmithing experience or any machines of my own, I am in need of help here. I am looking for anybody in Utah (Utah county preferably) who has used Eliss Brown's book to build a double rifle on a shotgun action. Barring that, I am looking for someone who does gunsmithing that can help me figure it out. I am looking to be taught, as I want to have the knowledge and skills so I can improve myself. As others have said about the book, there are a lot of things that are unexplained, and I am not the most confident person as it is. If there is anybody who is willing to help teach me please let me know. Thanks.

A double rifle is not a beginners project! Build a single shot .22 first. You need to be able to walk before you can do a marathon.

I took a machine shop night course at the local vo-tech school once. If there was anyone else in the class who could actually plan a project, I didn't see them. I showed up with a drawing and list of tools I needed for each night. My project got done. Some barely got started.

Sooo, you need a plan. What do you want to build? Maybe we can help. I too, bought the book. Last year, between Christmas and New Years, I sat down with some measuring tools, and the barrels for my 28 Ga Red Label. It took a a day and a half, but I have an Inventor model (and drawings) of the monoblock I want to make. I'm not that good with inventor, and wish I'd made the model in the order I need to machine it. I have a plan, but a real machinist with better tools might disagree.

The first things I bought were enough 4140 to make three, and some good files. You don't have to make a single shot .22 first, but you should be prepared to discard your first effort, and maybe your second.

PLAN:
1. What do you want?

I know several good gun builders in Utah. One in Springville and one in Lehi if you want to stay in Utah County. They both post builds regularly on other forums.

Being a machinist does not a Gunmaker make. Do you know anything about strength of actions, bolting systems, locking mechanisms? Fit and finish, convergence? Read, read, read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gnadoc, I'm looking to build a 450 NE 3 1/4" side by side. Trying to figure out how to blueprint some of the things is part of my snag. I was going to build the entire rifle from scratch but now I'm just going to build it on an existing action, which means exchanging the shotgun I currently bought. Is the inventor model a computer program?

GunBum: What forums do they post on and what would be their screen names? Lehi would definitely be the most ideal.

Thanks for all the help gentleman.

Weapons Guild is probably your best bet, but if you are looking to build a 450NE double rifle, there are very few people going to be able to provide useful help.

He isn't in Utah, but Colin Stolzer is probably one of the people with the most knowledge on the topic. He built a 2 bore Jones Underlever a few years ago and documented the build on his blog.

http://www.stolzergunsmithing.com/2boredoublerifle.htm

Back