What's new
What's new

Mexican Mauser Barrel threads?

Gazz

Stainless
In my pile of project guns is a Mexican Mauser, the smaller 98 model, with a sort of worn out 7mm bore. I also have a .308 barrel that I believe came off a Remington 700 and am thinking maybe I could thread the Remington barrel to to fit the action. I looked in the DeHaas book on bolt action rifles but do not see the barrel shank thread dimensions there nor little mention of the Mexican Mauser in general - it does not even appear in the index. My guess is that the barrel shank threads are the same as for other small ring Mausers but that is just a guess. Anybody know?

The NRA Gunsmithing Guide says they are 0.980"-12( approx.), length = .625". Same as 98 small ring.

RWO

It's a classic poor-mans-conversion. You can in most cases wipe off nearly all of the Remington thread and re-thread it. Wipe off the counter-bore and a bit. Run in a reamer to clean up the old chamber and bring it back to full length and go shooting. Its been done to death. But remember that the Remington barrel came off for a reason. It won't shoot any better on the Mauser so it's usually a waste of time.

ADD NOTE: My notes show the small ring at the following measurements so you had better measure up the action first.

Attachments

• Rod Henrickson Small Ring Mausers.jpg
    Rod Henrickson Small Ring Mausers.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 5,874
Well I am a poor man and I haven't done it yet. As far as why the barrel came off the Remington, I have no idea. The bore looks fine and I can imagine that the fellow who had the barrel taken off may have wanted something in another caliber. I have personally known guys who buy a new rifle and have the barrel changed to some other caliber or one with a heavier profile. In any case, I have the parts on hand and thought it might be a good thing to do with the rifle without spending a bunch. As I stated in my original post, I have the thread dimensions for the small rings Mausers but they are the 93,95 and 96 actions as published in DeHaas book. There is no mention in the book of the threads for the small ring 98 action so I guess I will just have to take it off and measure. Thanks for your comments in any case.

This is what you asked for (Mexican Mauser, the smaller 98 model)

Well the smaller version of the 98 is a small ring Mauser which is what we gave you dimensions for. Is it possible you have a model 1924 Mexican Mauser? If you do, that's a large ring Mauser or 98. The Mexicans used both the small ring and large ring Mauser. Take a picture of the entire top of the action and post it and we can tell you what you have. If its a 98 Mauser it wont work. The thread OD on the 98 is 1.1 inch. The thread OD on the Remington 700 is 1.062 inch. Not enough material unless you have enough material to knock off the entire thread extension and start from scratch.

Back