What's new
What's new

50 BMG Action Choices

cl5man

Aluminum
I've decided instead of buying one, i'm gona build it from scratch. This won't be a target gun, just a plinker. I've been having problems finding an action. Mcmillian and Bat both have one for over $2k. Any other company's making action specifically for the 50 Bmg? I don't mind spending the money, just want to see all my choices. Single shot version is more than good enough for me.

I built a Maddi Griffen clone with lots of enhancements. Wasnt to difficult to do, but you need a dividing head.
a couple pics...
102-0235_IMG.jpg

FrontView.jpg

Its a single shot shell holder design. Its very accurate.

Build it from scratch? That's what I did. The action and the stock, anyway.
The only Haven Mark II action in existence.
Here are some photos of the rifle and bolt compared to my SAKO .338 Win. Mag. and its bolt.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

A quick and simple answer...If you can legally own a firearm, then you can build a gun from scratch. There are a few details.

You can not build a firearms for resale. To build and then sell the guns you need a manufacturing license. It is possible to sale a homebuilt gun, but I don't know the whole legal process.

The firearm must be legal under federal, state and local laws.

There are several web sites for people building guns from scratch. Everything from semi-auto AKs to 50 bmg. KJ

Are "from scratch" actions legal to build?
Yup. Provided they are not made with the intention of selling them. kilroyjones has pretty much covered the legalities.
It is possible to sale a homebuilt gun, but I don't know the whole legal process.
As I understand it, you can sell a home-built (non NFA) firearm to a dealer or a resident of your state of residence. Why anyone would sell a home-built firearm is beyond my comprehension. ;) It must have a serial number if you sell it.
Do you have blueprints Dave :) ??
No. I'm lazy. I didn't bother to document my project. :D
Did you do some math on the shear strength of your locking lugs ??
No. Just scaled - up the locking lugs of a Remington 788 in .308 and moved them up to the FRONT of the bolt - where they SHOULD be. ;)
That is a nice looking rig tho, I'd like to see more detailed pics of the bolt and the action.
Thank you, sir. I'll take some more photos and post them when I get a chance.

Dave Haven,

That is an incredible looking action.

Is there a practical reason why you decided to go to nine locking lugs instead of the more conventional 2 or 3?

Really nice work.

The last time I saw a lug configuration like that it was on the outside of a barrel extension on a quick change barrel.

I notice that you also have some really nice helical cuts on the outside of the bolt body.

What machinery did you use to make the bolt?

Seriously cool.

Back