What's new
What's new

Need help identifying a gunsmith's or shooter' device

mm58

Hot Rolled
I purchased most of my machining equipment from an estate sale of a retired gunsmith and reloader. Part of the lot of goodies included this fixture. The three vertical screws adjust the feet for level, and the side screw adjusts motion of the ball left or right.
In the second photo is another fixture, that I assume goes together with the first, because they both have matching black wrinkle finish. There is a large (~.75") threaded rod extending 3" down from the bottom (for adjusting elevation?)

I asked a gunsmith today if he knew what they were, and he surmised that they were platforms for a rail gun (but he wasn't sure)

Can anybody here shed any light on this for me?

Attachments

• CIMG0002.jpg
    CIMG0002.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 477
  • CIMG0001.jpg
    CIMG0001.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 415
I would tend to agree, the front device may fit in a ransom front rest ?

Ransom International Corporation - The Ransom Rifle Master

We are not seeing what mated with it on the rifle portion, but I would expect a vee groove that ran on the ball on the forend, and maybe a radius that laid on the steel support on the left, and a vee groove in the underside of the butt that rode on the rear ball...this would give linear guidance without trying to "steer".

Bill

Okay, sounds like mystery solved. Thanks guys! I guess if I ever want to get into bench shooting I've got a headstart. For the time being though, I think I will fabricate a base for the forward part and adapt a beanbag to it. :)

Thanks again...

Mike

Okay, sounds like mystery solved. Thanks guys! I guess if I ever want to get into bench shooting I've got a headstart. For the time being though, I think I will fabricate a base for the forward part and adapt a beanbag to it. :)

Thanks again...

Mike

You can buy a variety of tops for the popular front rests, some guys use a windage adj front because some BR rules prohibit a windage rear, so the original tops are out there for a good price if you look on the br boards. Williamsport rules for 1000 as I recall prohibit any "guiding means" on the stock. I'm guessing it was for an unlimited 100-200 yard "ppc boys" rifle. But Butch would sure know better than I would :-).

Back