What's new
What's new

Engraving

Mishawaka

Plastic
I have a local gun store employee that does a lot of AR15 builds and he would like me to do engraving on the lower receivers(the part with the serial number). He just wants his first initial and last name with the town and state engraved. Is this illegal for me since I do not have a gunsmith license? It seems to me that the state would require me to have some sort of license to any work on the part with the serial number on it. He says he would have a lot business for me from others also but it is not worth the risk of spending time in the pokey over a few bucks.

So using my cnc would be out of the question it sounds like, unless he is present while the work is done. If he was present in my garage at the time the work is being done would it be legal? Can't seem to bring myself around to drag the mill to his place :o).

On a side note, Can I assume your last name is Gaskill, GGaskill? Mine too as a matter of fact. Seems like machining is a common quality among Gaskill's, both my brothers are machinists.

it has more to do with whether or not the owner of the firearms/firearm receivers is there while the work is being done. it has to do with you engaging in the business of working on firearms.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Gunsmiths

Q: Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?
Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.
[27 CFR 478.11]

i am no expert but i suspect if you are actually engraving the serial numbers on the part, you would also need an 07 (manufacture) ffl.

I always have to giggle when people scheme for hours to find a way to make $45.00 over the course of an entire weekend under the table as opposed to putting in 2 hours of overtime at work to make $60.00 and go fishing on the weekend. I have the strangest 1+1=2 thing with math. he he he he

I always have to giggle when people scheme for hours to find a way to make $45.00 over the course of an entire weekend under the table as opposed to putting in 2 hours of overtime at work to make $60.00 and go fishing on the weekend. I have the strangest 1+1=2 thing with math. he he he he

Some times people are building up work to get the hell out for good...and $45 not taxed is roughly $60. Same amount if time is probably spent doing the work either at your job or at home....I'd chose home. Teach the kids how to work.

Off Topic: Gaskills

Can I assume your last name is Gaskill, GGaskill? Mine too as a matter of fact. Seems like machining is a common quality among Gaskill's, both my brothers are machinists.

Yes, that is my last name. I am a computer programmer by profession but do machining for entertainment. I am the only one in my family who is like that.

Actually, I usually work 2 extra hours a night, work at least one day a weekend and try to work all holidays (except Thanksgiving and Christmas) for a well known aircraft parts manufacturer but would like to branch off on my own eventually. I figured this might be a good start, not to mention the gun deals he would give me to do the work. I have three mills one being a small cnc stuffed in my garage and working on getting a lathe. The union didn't much for us with the new contract and rumors are flying about shifting everything to China so figured I'd start my own line of products along with the engraving I might be able to make it on my own.

Last edited:

Back