What's new
What's new

Tooling up the lathe

skeeks

Aluminum
Hey guys, I'm sure this has been covered a million times, but here we go again. I'm in the process of tooling up my new lathe. Its a Romi 13-5 running off a rotary phase converter. It runs great and I've just got it leveled (cutting withing .0002" over about 8 inches). So now I need to step up my tooling game.

Currently, I have a 5/8" shank Sandvik profiling tool which works great, but I'd like a dedicated turning tool. I also have a threading tool which was originally a Arthur Warner co HSS insert turn for which I found a carbide threading insert for.

I currently have a Dorian ____ (AXA size, wedge type) tool post, but plan on upgrading to a BX or CX very soon.

I will be using carbide for everything I do as I just don't want to mess with HSS. I am looking for your guys' opinions on which tool holders and inserts for the following purposes - all work will be done on 416R SS barrels- I am looking for quality turning, parting, lay-down threading (internal and external) and smaller boring bars for cutting bolt nose recess and thread protectors.
Currently threading barrel tennons at 400 rpm and am comfortable up to around 550 rpm.
The Sandvik profiling tool I have leaves a mirror-like, incredibly smooth finish at 2500 rpm.

For turning I was looking at WNMG turning inserts?
Threading- clueless?
Parting- clueless?

I'm interested in preboring as well. I have been using a finish reamer to cut the whole chamber for my previous barrels. What kind of drill bits are you guys using for preboring?

Now for the kicker- I'd like to purchase quality tools while keeping a budget in mind as I'm a broke college student trying to get a business off the ground without accruing debt.

Links to suggested stuff would be awesome! I appreciate any help in advance.

If your turning includes profiling the barrels I'd look for something else than WNMG. Probably more choices in inserts like CCMT or DCMT

If your turning includes profiling the barrels I'd look for something else than WNMG. Probably more choices in inserts like CCMT or DCMT

I do not plan on contouring barrels. I will be doing mostly PRS type competition rigs and hunting rifles.

I currently have a Dorian ____ (AXA size, wedge type) tool post, but plan on upgrading to a BX or CX very soon.

Just an FYI. If your lathe is the right size for an AXA holder a BXA (and certainly a CXA) would not work on it. You would have a hard time finding an upgrade for a Dorian holder (the Aloris would be more of a sideways move) and the AXA, BXA, CXA thing it just a reference to their sizes.

-Ron

Back