What's new
What's new

J Stevens 39A

tony wilson

Aluminum
Well I have done it now! I agreed to work on a 39A .410 and the right extractor is broken. I don't know how to remove and replace it. I see how it is retained but there has to be a method to remove it that I can do fairly easy! I need the help is someone knows how.

Thanks,, Tony

I just fixed replaced one a month ago. Only it was on the J.C. Higgins but it is the same model as the 39A Kind of hard to describe. I grabbed the stub of the broken extractor with a pair of vice grips at the same time working an awl in between the extractor and the bolt from the front. As I recall getting the old one out was much harder than installing the new one. Hopes this helps. Gary P. Hansen

I could see how the extractor came out after the new one arrived. It was an easy job. Now the empty will extract but not eject. All parts look good and the ejector rides in the bolt recess as it should. The empty seems to ride too high on the bolt face and will miss the ejector. Any help on this will be a great help.

Here is a clue, for what it is worth. When you remove the bolt does both ejectors look exactly the same? I had one where a bur on the ejector slot in the barrel bent the ejector. All was well when I removed the bur, slightly bent the ejector back to where it should have been and did some filling on it. Gary P. Hansen

Back