What's new
What's new

Turkish mauser follower

tony wilson

Aluminum
I have modified a Turkish Mauser from 7MM Mauser to .308 Winchester but the follower has to be changed to feed properly. Can someone tell me how or where to start? I had expected to soft solder brass shims to the follower but I'm not sure if that is the way to go. Suggestions please! Thank You!

Tony, Why does the follower need changed? I was under the impression that the two cartridges are nearly identical except for length and bullet diameter.
This intrigued me so I dug out an old Mauser and some cases. Now my Mauser is not a Turkish model but both the 7mm and 308 cases feed the same, at least until the neck hits the chamber. Am I missing something? Shawn

Gun parts has a follower that came with a kit to convert a small ring Mauser to 7.62x39 that I used in the Trukish Mauser I converted to .308. they also include a plastic block for a spacer.
Item # 6500 $11.95

I have been checking the 308 in a 98 Mauser I have converted to 375 H&H and the 308 fed perfectly. I may try the 98 / 375 in the Turk but I think the Turk's feed rails may have to be opened some near the front of the magazine well. I expected the rails to be modified on the 375 but not the 308. I think I will try to open the feed rails to allow the 308 to fit better on the side of the cartridge. Now it is a little off. The back of the 308 does not touch the feed rails evenly. I'm sure I will have to put a block in the magazine. Shawn, if you have time, please check and see if the 308 is touching the feed rails on the entire length of the shell case. That will help a lot. Thanks for your ideas.
I may also try Gun Parts #6500.

turk follower

Tony

You have me scratching my head. Now I've only been at this for about a dozen years so
far but, I can't remember ever seeing a Turk in 7MM. At least not one that you'd want
to put a 308 on. The 03 and KKale are the only 2 that I'd want to build a 308 on and all of
those I've seen were in 8MM. Granted the 03's were 7mm before they were 8MM. So I'm
going to just say that it was a typo and let it go at that.

Now about feeding....
I'd say stay away from the rails until you have thoroughly examined how the case
shoulder interacts with the feed ramp. It'll be a long time before I forget one of my
early builds on a German 98, going from 8MM to .25-06. The bolt would start striping
the cartridge from the mag and as soon as the case shoulder hit the feed ramp it
would send the bullet nose right into the breach face. I had to open and smooth the
feed ramp area (ONLY) to get it to feed properly. I lucked into a small pile of receivers
that had been thru the Columbian Rfamage facility. They were all 7MM to 30-06 conversions. There were FN's, Brno's, Styer's and they all had similar ramp work done to
them as I had done for the 25-06. So if you are having feed issues look very closley
at the feed ramp. Cycle your bolt very slowly and examine what the cartridge is doing
as it moves forward. As soon as the nose of the bullet starts heading somewhere other
than the center of the chamber take note. Slowly remove the offending interference and
repeate until the nose heads straight for the chamber.

As to blocking, front , rear, at all ? it's all optional. I have a 98 in .308 with no blocking
and it feeds flawlessly.

Best of luck.
Tinker

You may be right on the caliber for I have had the bbl removed for 5 or 6 years. I have never used the rifle so it could have been any caliber. I will take a close look at the feed ramp as you suggest. No excuses for me not remembering what I have done for many years but I am trying to clean up projects that I have had laying around for years. I haven't worked on many since the mid 1960's and my memory is not as good as it once was. My Turk is a K Kale Dated 1945 seems to be very good rifle. I fitted a 1917 Enfield bbl I removed many years ago. The bbl is excellent but the owner thought it wasn't. He found out later that the stock was garbage and not the bbl.
Any way I checked just a minute ago and the first 308 feeds fairly well but the rear of the case is not held very well the second cartridge does hit the feed ramp badly. It seems like you are correct thinking the feed ramp needs work. I will work on the ramp and report back soon. Also a block doesn't seem to be needed at this time.
Thanks again and any more comments are welcome.

I did not make myself clear so I will try to explain better...... I said the first round fed fairly well but I meant if there was only one round in the rifle. The second round in the magazine would not feed. I just rechecked again and the rails have the second case jammed between the rails so the rails will need to be opened near the ring as well as the feed ramp.

I found the bbl that I removed and it was a 7MM. The feed rails will ned to be opened about 1/2 inch or so near the receiver ring, The feed ramp also needs to be reshaped a little and polished. The follower was binding some at the left front but I ground the receiver for clearance. I checked and I probably will block the rear of the magazine some. The rifle is progressing very well. I just turned a brass tube and glassed it in for the rear receiver bolt. The rifle is looking good and should be ready for the hogs when they come to my front yard to eat my pecans. I wanted to try my 375 on the hogs but the rifle is an 11 pounder and I have a littler trouble swinging it. I like the Turk since it is a 98 action that uses a small ring bbl. That way I can use good bbls that have been removed for caliber change and not wear to re barrel a Turk. When this project is finished I will start the conversion of a low number O3 conversion to a caliber I think is safe. I will start another thread on the conversion. Thank you for your help and please add more for I can always use more help!

Again news about the Turk. I apologize for my error on caliber of the K Kale turk. I found several bbls under my bench of which most were small ring and in both 7mm and 8mm so I have no idea what caliber it was. I thought I had thrown them all away. Tinker five was probably correct about the caliber. Now, the feed rails were the main problem I have them feeding very well the feed ramp also needed a good polishing. If I locate the cartridges too far to the rear of the box the bolt will not pick up the cartridge reliably. The feed rails may need more work or a block in the rear. I'm not sure yet how to go about it any Ideas will be welcome.

Back