What's new
What's new

VintageWeaverMount

CloseTolerance

Plastic
There was a screw missing from my old Weaver mount.

Weaver-Scope-Mount.jpg

One of the two screws labeled #18 on the patent picture was the missing screw.
This screw is a 6-40 slotted cap screw.
I brought the gun, scope and mount to a local gunsmith.
He removed the remaining 6-40 screw and replaced both of them with 6-32 torx flat head screws.
What can be done to salvage my old weaver mount?
Can a 6-40 tap be run through the thin steel?
Can a 6-40 screw be forced back through the thin steel?
Can a 6-32 tap be run through the holes?
Is there enough material to attempt any of the above?
Will the 6-32 screw hold?
What do you think, can my old mount be salvaged?

A person with patience could likely peen all around the damaged hole with a planishing hammer or punches in an effort to close up the hole enough to give good material to run that -40 tap through. At that location, It will require some creative anvil configurations and a bit of flexing of the ring. In the same way, the rework will not show. I don't think i would ask the fellow who ran the -32 tap through the hole. that was inconsiderate.

Looking carefully at the patent illustration, there appears to be room for a threaded "insert" that could be readily soldered into oversized holes. a loss of originality, but better in every other way.

... a "gun smith" should call before re tapping to another size.

6-40 screws are the standard clamping screw for Weaver rings to this day. Absolutely no reason to use a 6-32 screw except ignorance/incompetence. If the 6-32 screw was just forced in, it reformed the 6-40 threads. You might be able to reverse the process by forcing in a 6-40 screw. The most promising way would be to TIG the bunged hole, and drill and tap for 6-40. More complicated if you have to have someone else do the welding but it would give the best results and cause little damage.

... a "gun smith" should call before re tapping to another size.

6-40 screws are the standard clamping screw for Weaver rings to this day. Absolutely no reason to use a 6-32 screw except ignorance/incompetence. If the 6-32 screw was just forced in, it reformed the 6-40 threads. You might be able to reverse the process by forcing in a 6-40 screw. The most promising way would be to TIG the bunged hole, and drill and tap for 6-40. More complicated if you have to have someone else do the welding but it would give the best results and cause little damage.

I agree but not being able to find the original screws and needing to make them..So re tapping to the next size and making screws would be easier. Yes before the bungle only one screw would have been needed.

Back