What's new
What's new

Walther B. Mueller Building a Falling-block Rifle Action

ChadL

Plastic
I searched and saw a few threads, but they were all several years old. Instead of resurrecting an old thread I thought I would start a new one. Has anyone recently built a falling block action per Walter B. Mueller's book? I'm currently modeling all the various parts in Solidworks and just curious if anyone had to change anything or if his plans were spot on? I realize I may have to make some changes based on the cartridge I select. The reason I ask is I've noticed some profile differences in my models vs. his drawings. His drawings aren't to scale so I'm inclined to just go with the dimensions called out and not worry too much about the profile differences I'm seeing in his drawings.

Thank you,

Chad

I have Mueller's booklet and looked at it probably 15 years ago. I started planning out the cuts, etc. I was planning on doing the work on manual machines. However, I never got around to it.

I might dig up the book and start making some solid works models. I would rather copy someone else's...

I might dig up the book and start making some solid works models. I would rather copy someone else's...

If you'd like, you could send me PDFs of the scanned booklet and I would be more than happy to do up the Solidworks models :D

Whomever builds the Mueller action really needs to do something different with the lever latch. That thing is UGGGGLY. the best solution IMHO is no latch like a Ruger #3. It uses a spring-loaded detent plunger in the action body at the hinge point of the lever which grabs a little dimple in the lever base and holds it closed. It's amply strong and is invisible.

RWO

ChadL,
I too am modeling the Mueller action, but not in SW. I have identified dimension errors (eg. 1+2=4... SAY WHAT???) Also, after building the entire action as an assembly, using the given dimensions, the geometry absolutely does NOT work. Make sure you run "motion" in SW before you make chip number one. For anyone having the original Home Shop Machinist article (Vol.13 and Vol. 14) I really would like to work with you to work out the errors. I am giving Mr. Mueller the benefit of the doubt until I can see the comparison with the HSM article. You know, typos and such. Just my $0.02.

Thanks for reading this,
Chris

"If It ain't broke, fix it 'til it is."

ChadL,
I too am modeling the Mueller action, but not in SW. I have identified dimension errors (eg. 1+2=4... SAY WHAT???) Also, after building the entire action as an assembly, using the given dimensions, the geometry absolutely does NOT work. Make sure you run "motion" in SW before you make chip number one. For anyone having the original Home Shop Machinist article (Vol.13 and Vol. 14) I really would like to work with you to work out the errors. I am giving Mr. Mueller the benefit of the doubt until I can see the comparison with the HSM article. You know, typos and such. Just my $0.02.

Thanks for reading this,
Chris

"If It ain't broke, fix it 'til it is."

i know this post is a few months old, but im fairly certain i have the original hsm magazines as well as the book (never tried to build one as of yet). which parts are the discrepancies you speak of?

i know this post is a few months old, but im fairly certain i have the original hsm magazines as well as the book (never tried to build one as of yet). which parts are the discrepancies you speak of?

just checked and dug out the necessary issues (8 in total) i have no means to scan them, b ut i can double check any dim's you need.

I know this thread is older that dirt. I just ordered the book from Amazon. I'm excited to get it and see the design. I have built 3 diffrent versions of Frank DeHaas's Chicopee CF rifle. A 22 lr, a 17 ackley bee, and a 22 k hornet. I'll keep you posted.

I just found this thread and was wondering if the OP has followed thru with this build.

Back