What's new
What's new

wanted a 6" 22 caliber barrel in a 1911 style barrel

old fart 2

Plastic
I am looking for a 6" 1911 para style barrel does anyone here know where to purchase one.Any help will be appreciated.

old fart 2 :scratchchin:

45ACP being a centerfire cartridge and 22 being a rimfire cartridge means the normal slide/firing pin setup of a 45 won't hit the rim of a 22 with just a barrel swap. 22 conversions of a 45 normally involve a slide change.

There is a .22 caliber centerfire cartridge out there, the .22 TCM which was developed for use in 1911 type pistols, if that is what the OP intends to make. I don't know about extraction though and do not know what the parent case is for the TCM so yes, a slide change may be required as well. A .45 case necked down to .22 would be a silly looking thing but maybe not so silly if it were based on a .38 Super case or 9mm case.

Why not just buy a Colt Ace conversion? They are about $400.00(were before Obama crap!) Or,you can get a .22 conversion kit from Brownell's. I like the looks of the Ace better,but I have a Brownell's kit. Works fine.But is black aluminum. It has the much weaker spring,as well as everything else you need to make the 1911 shoot .22's.

The only problem I have found is the trigger drags a bit on the magazine sometimes. A little filing on the trigger bars(whatever they are called. They go around the magazine) would cure that soon.

You can buy .22 TCM barrels from a variety of manufacturers. You can get them directly from Armscor (original 22 TCM maker) or try using the Google and look around.

Gazz was right about wanting a 22tcm barrel, It is essentially a .223 cut down and neck down to .22.I have looked all around the net and can't find anyone making a barrel but rock island armory and they won't sell a barrel. I found a set of chamber reamers but the only .22 cal. barrels I find are not the same as a 1911 style.Gun Bum if you know of any barrel manufacturers that make a 22 tcm barrel a name would gratefully be appreciated.

Back