What's new
What's new

What is black Iron?

Tjrahl

Aluminum
In the context of hot salts bluing tanks?

I bought my large rifle sized blueing set up from brownells and am debating an electrically heated small pot style set of tanks for pistols and small parts when I dont want to run the big propane tanks to blue just a few small items.

But I dont "Know" what the tanks are made of, sure it looks and acts like mild sheet metal but is that what it is?

Plain uncoated mild steel. NO galvanized; NO stainless steel as it will react with the salts and deposit silver spots on the work.

Plain uncoated mild steel. NO galvanized; NO stainless steel as it will react with the salts and deposit silver spots on the work.

I've seen first hand what happens when someone puts aluminum in bluing tanks and destroys an entire batch of blued parts with the residue of their dissolved parts, some idjit while i was AT CST attempted to blue an aluminum scope :crazy: no i am NOT making that up. Is that what happens with stainless tanks? The salts chemically eating the stainless and depositing it on the parts to be blued or is it an unintentional electroplating process?

Now I know. Back in the mid 50s I bought a can of Stoeger's bluing and made a stainless steel tank. The one pistol I blued in it came out with white spots. I did some other parts in a different tank with good results, but always wondered why the one came out that way.

Bill

Back tank is my salts tank and is made from 1/8" thick hot rolled steel sheet. Welded with steel weld rod.

Front tank is a cleaning tank and is 316 Stainless. Remainder of my tanks are also 316 stainless (cold water rinse, hot water rinse, neutralizing tank, oil dipping tank).

MVC-003S_1.jpg

MVC-002S_2.jpg

Back