What's new
What's new

What is everyone making this weekend?

gcmachine

Plastic
Hey guys, small shop, just opened. Would just like to see what everyone is making this weekend. I'm just finishing up some roughing tools.
261f9100-f182-4b98-abd6-e1e8c02b5ec7_zpsmk4yutqg.jpg

Damn! Those look store bought! Very nice!

I'm making teriyaki pork loin, munching on shrimp cocktail. Wife is making chocolate covered pretzels, almonds, walnuts, pecans.:D

What kind of parts do you make with those tools? Not what I call a typical roughing tool?

Welcome to the board.:cheers:

Brent

Appreciate the compliment! And must be nice to be at home for the weekend, one day haha. I make a lot of tooling for that customer, from what I know, they rough out plane parts. Sorry for the vague description lol. I am just told what they the tool needs to do. That one is a lathe tool, insert is 3/4 IC if that helps you get a better idea of size

Been on standby for an outfit installing a paint robot booth.

So far 3 shafts and 2 spacers.

In between been reworking some cages for ge.

Also built 2 fan spacers and drilled 2 headlight bolts for some dudes restoreing mg cars.

Still have to build a bucket spacer for a kobelco track hoe.

1 mill (3 minute part) and a lathe running also getting parts ready for the new help Monday.

Thanks for your vote it is much appreciated here.

Well, I was attempting to replace the flex pipes on my A4's exhaust, but I managed to shear all the teeth off my portaband in about 30 seconds on a tiny bit of weld, then managed to break the suspension on my welding helmet on the first tack. So I decided I should work on something with a higher chance of success, like a nap.

Getting $300 for holding onto the weekend duty phone......if it rings I'm making even more money for a few hours of "work"....

Nice Toolholder, I've got some 3/4 & 1" IC tools at work. Nothing like putting old iron to work with modern carbide tools.

testing final program on AR Upper.:D
done in one operation, from solid........Billet.

I sawed some extra ZZZZZZZZZ's this weekend.. First days off in 8 weeks...

Lucky bastard.

I got suckered into the better half's elementary school lego league thing. By "suckered" I mean I was "asked"
if I would help her.. And as any man "knows".. "ask" means "you will"... They just try and give you the "illusion"
that you have an option...

We got a late start, its only her this year, 2 teams(half the advisors, double the kids this year)... And its not just the lego
thing, there's presentations and projects, plus the playing with Lego thing... 4th and 5th graders competing with JR high
kids... Yesterday was a long long long long day... And I'm used to long long long long days, I can't even imagine what
4th and 5th graders were going through.. They were getting cranky..

My better half said "fuck it" (not out loud at a school event :rolleyes5:) and after the second lego round told them.. "what you have is what
you have".. And we went outside for an hour and played.. Every form of tag known to man and when I finished my soda (it really was
a soda I wish it wasn't) we played kick the can..

On the lego side, we didn't do so well.. We literally only had a few hours of prep.. Other teams (jr high) were doing 4 hours
a day over weeks(months etc...)... 18th and 26th... out of 30.. I was very impressed (maybe a bit proud) how come down to
crunch time, the kids just grabbed it and ran.. (oh? so the stuff I was trying to teach you did sink in a bit).. One team really
grabbed it and ran, it was awesome.

And the best thing... One of the groups grabbed 2nd Place in one of the presentations, the one she(the misses) really wanted...
My better half was HAPPY!!!! 2 years in a row with a trophy!!!! :willy_nilly:

Its going in the trophy case with last years trophy... Next to the Centennial rocket...
8078317605_a7ba4fd640_c.jpg

Here is an example (a crazy example) of the lego thing... Beautifully stained playing table and white leather couches are not
the norm.. Splinters in the form of a 2x4 is the norm for a practice table at a public school.

FLL Animal Allies 146 points. - YouTube

Pens in the barn for the wife's chickens.
It will be worth it when she turns the little bastards into FRIED chicken... :D

They will end up pets.....You will be feeding and otherwise maintaining them till they die of old age! That is sure the way it works around here. I hate chickens, My grandmother always had 50 or so. She made sure my brother and I were around to help on butcher day. I will never forget the smell of scalding them to remove the feathers in a giant pot on a wood fire. The best memory of chickens was being with her when she was sitting on a chair behind Grampa's cabinet shop. She had her .22 semi auto rifle with a scope and would shoot the chipmunks that were trying to get the chicken feed. As I remember it was about a 80' shot and she rarely missed.

Got acquainted with my new old Paillard-Bolex 8mm titler to discover that it doesn’t hold the distances as given in the instructions. Instruction says 350 mm from film plane to title frame, I am measuring 345 mm. At the same time the distance from film plane to ground isn’t 600 mm but 611. Annoying

Next point that goes on my nerves: the camera is located rotationaly (around the tripod bush) by a stop on the left side, where the door is. Which fathead has thought that out? So another project to make the thing work as it should, I think I’ll give the camera base a short bore and the base plate a pin, maybe a new base plate anyway that will allow to open the door of the camera mounted.

I want to show small mechanical objects and their function big on screen. The 8mm film format is beautiful for such macro work. I have a Paillard-Bolex C8 that accepts D-mount lenses of which I have a few. What’s still missing is a set of D-mount extension rings or tubes. Will have to take care of that, too.

At the steam museum: Finishing off an electric motor drive to allow our big marine style engine to be motored over when we don't have steam available. Also to allow easier barring round to start when we do have steam. This requires a heavy motor gearbox unit, a sprag clutch and a swinging arm arrangement to transmit power to the flwheel. The motor/gearbox sits in a pit in the concrete foundations. Lots of fairly heavy work on this job.

At my own workshop: working on a cnc conversion for a shaper to allow it to generate gears like a Sunderland machine. Specifically working on the bull gear encoder + motor control parts at the moment.

Got 8-12" of snow, drifted much more....drove around in a nice warm truck
trying out my new 4x4 Tacoma.

Ran the 220v feed for the eventual VFD install on my South Bend, and re-wired the single phase motor to make use of it until I get around to buying the bits needed to interface with the VFD. Have the drive and the motor already, just need to do the controls.

Back