What's new
What's new

What type of equipment is used to make dish cuts & front serrations on Glock Slides?

Sanders

Plastic
What type of equipment is used to make dish cuts & front serrations on Glock Slides?

Hi Guys,

To make cuts on a Glock slide, such as dish cuts and front serrations: What is needed?

To start a small business and be able to cut several slides each day, what equipment is needed?

Thank you.

There are many ways to skin an avacado, but a CNC mill would be my choice. That and a shop-built fixture to hold the slide. Also, if yer carving on a Glock slide, know that it's been nitrided, and is very hard. So carbide tools are a must. I would use an angle cutter in a tangential cut. A chamfer cutter (endmill) would probably not do as nice a job.

HTH

Thank you Spencer.

Is this a CNC Mill capable of such?

4W 3 Axis 34 CNC Router ENGRAVER Milling Machine Engraving Drilling Desktop | eBay

is an angle cutter a bit that fits the CNC mill? Or a whole different machine?

Thank you.

Err.... Depends on what you mean by capable.
Yes, it will probably make a mark on a Glock slide. It might even start reasonably close to where you wanted the mark. Beyond that? God knows. It'll howl like a banshee and likely trash cutters (and slides) like snacks.
Short form: The spindle RPM is way too high, and the machine isn't nearly rigid enough. Someone who already knew what they were doing and had *NO* other choice, might be able to baby the thing through one or two slides worth of cuts before it came completely apart. In that sense, yes, it's capable. Is it any kind of machine you'd chose to do this on if you had any other choice? No.

I just poked around to get some pictures of the basic minimum CNC I'd be looking at for doing this sort of thing and came up with these:
11" x 52" Used Vantage 3 Axis CNC Vertical Milling Machine MDL K4V | eBay

Hurco Hawk 4 3 Axis CNC Vertical Mill w Ultimax Control 4" x 2" x 2" Travel | eBay

I don't recommend either one of them, I was just looking for pictures to give you some idea of the kind of machine you're really looking for. Old, used CNC machines can be staggeringly complex, expensive headaches looking for a place to happen. But new ones are north of 30K. Pick your poison.

If you're only thinking to do a few, a manual knee mill would get you there. You could get the mill, and the tooling you need to make it useful for around 8-10K. Less if you know how/where to scrounge.

Sorry, the little $500 gantry router is NOT the right tool for this job.
There is no cheap way into this game.

Regards,
Brian.

Back