What's new
What's new

Who built this AR15 Lower Broach?

No idea who makes it but have a question about its use.

Looking at the pic of the broach loaded into the press, wouldn't having such a long, unsupported, section of broach above the workpiece cause it to want to cant one way or the other, not cutting true?

Make a friend with a Wire EDM. That is how we did all of ours. All that had to be done was drill a start hole, and burn the rest.

I think we were around 45minish burn time so it may not be cost effective for a large qty but we had a wire that was idle a lot so it didn't matter to us much.

Im looking at doing a lot, broach is the only possible way because of quantity
Quotes are $125-165,000 for ty miles style setup so home made looks a lot better

Aren't there enough people making AR lowers?

The broach is no good without the machine to pull it and the fixture to hold the part. Then you need the go/no-go gauges to be sure it's cutting the right size.

And you have to have most of the metal out to start the broach.
That broach in the auction isn't going to take much out, you'll have to be pretty close to size when you start. Going from memory (pretty dangerous for me) I think aluminum broaches only take like .007-.008 per tooth or about .004 per edge. They probably use that broach to clean out the internal corners with some kind of vertical setup.

We had a Pacific broach that would have done a magwell from a "smallish" starter hole in one pass but that machine was probably 20'+ long and had maybe a 50hp motor if I remember right.

What do you need a broach for? There's plenty of room in there to drill the corners 3/16", and mill the rest with a 1/4" end mill. You only need the 4 corners, plus both sides of the back slot. The side slot is just clearance, and can be opened up enough to cut it with a 1/2". The back slot corner holes need to cheat forward, and toward the center line, to leave a reasonable wall thickness. Clear as much as you can with a 1/2", then finish with a 1/4". If I remember right, it took about 8 minutes total, on a 3 HP knee mill, with only 5000 RPM. Harvey sells a suitable 1/4" end mill for less than $50.

Unless you're doing mill-spec, who cares if the mag well exactly matches the print? Just draw up the maximum dimensions of a mag, and overlay that on the mag well model. Play with the radii until you have something you can mill, while fitting the mag as closely as you can. Think function, not numbers.

I'm guessing that the owner of the broach found a better way.
G&W Broach Services
If I didn't have access to an EDM I would use a shaping attachment or a shaper.

Not for production one wouldn't. Not if one wanted to be competitive, anyway. I've always WEDM'd them. but then, those are never production, or for sale. :)

10349711_1438916916361945_1918231922_n.jpg

I might have to go see the broach. Ardmore is only 30 minutes from my house.

A broach of this type needs to be pulled through. If you push the broach it will have column deflection.

Back