What's new
What's new

.45 Lead Bullet Reloads

Chuck38

Aluminum
Back in the 1980's, while home recuperating, I read every gun and shooting magazine that could be found.

I ran across some loads dedicated to just 185 grain lead cast semi-wadcutter bullet.

One used Unique, about 13.7 grains…way over anything published…and the other using Bullseye, weight data lost.

The text indicated that since the bullets were lead that excess pressures would not be encountered, because the lead acted as a lubricant. I loaded several starting below the published max and worked up to the 13.7.

Worked great. No signs of over pressure, and really no EXCESSIVE recoil. Very crisp holes in paper targets.

I lost the Bullseye load and would like to find it. Does anyone have any ideas or know where to find the data? The www. Has been searched several time, no trace.

Thanks.

Chuck38

I would expect gas cutting at the base of the bullet and excessive leading. An accidental double charge sure would be exciting.

Chuck

Are you talking about the 45 ACP or the 45 Colt ??????

If it's the ACP you are way over your head with a load of 13.7 gr of Unique so I suspect the cartridge is the 45 Colt. Even with the Colt, 13.7 grains of Unique is a HOT load. 12 grains is a standard top load with light bullets. 13.7 is the equivilant of a 44 Magnum load.

For the 45 Colt a lot will depend on the revolver you are shooting. The Colt can be loaded anywhere from plinkers to 44 Magnum equivilent.

Bullseye is not the best powder for the Colt. Unique is better, but still not the best for heavy loads.

Whoever told you that you can't overload lead bullets does not know what he is talking about.

You say there's no signs of high pressure. I'm not sure what you use to tell high pressure in a revolver. Recoil is a function of bullet weight so that's not a very good indicator of pressure either.

How about starting over. Let us know the cartridge and the revolver and we can probably give good advice.

Ray

I like H110 or 296 for a 45 Colt, the pressure has a flatter curve and doesn't spike as much as others.

231 for light loads, smells like 22s, brings back childhood memories.

Back in the 1980's, while home recuperating, I read every gun and shooting magazine that could be found.

I ran across some loads dedicated to just 185 grain lead cast semi-wadcutter bullet.

One used Unique, about 13.7 grains…way over anything published…

I hope you are loading them for a Ruger Single Action. That load at around 26,500 psi (estimated using QuickLoad) is close to double the SAAMI pressure level (14,000 psi) for a colt revolver and about 5,000 psi higher than conventionally thought to be safe in a modern single action .45 colt like a Beretta (around 21,000 psi).

It is within what are considered the +P limits for a Ruger BlackHawk in .45 colt.

Fitch

Fitch

You are right. I played with a converted Super Blackhawk in the 1980s testing heavy bullet loads. The hot loads can easily get into and beyond 44 Magnum ballistics (and pressures). I did an article in HANDLOADER magazine on my results.

It would not surprise me if that lead bullet load is even hotter than QuickLoad estimates. A soft lead bullet would tend to "slug" up when passing from the cylinder and into the forcing cone, much more so than a hard jacketed bullet.

I hope we haven't scared Chuck away.

Ray

It Is A .45 ACP

I didn't dream up this load. It was in a published magazine circa Oct to Dec 1980.

Thanks for the replies

Before loading another 100 or so, I would like to re-verify the data.

Might have been Elmer Kieth. He was still writing in the early '80's, I think.

Chuck

Wow! You're loading 13.7 grains of Unique in a 45 ACP??? I don't think you can get that much Unique in the case.

GG - We've been had. Delete this entire thread.

I'm outta here.

Ray

SPEER Reloading Manual, Volume 12
.45 ACP
185 gr. SWC
Unique MAX LOAD - 5.8 grains

Exceeding this load is exceedingly stupid.

Moderators: I concur that deleting this thread in the interest of safety is in order.

DO NOT LOAD 13.5 gr Unique in .45 ACP!

(P.S. - with a jacketed bullet of same weight, the max load is 8.2 gr.!!!!)

(P.P.S. - using loading data from memory ain't so smart either!)

Chuck

Wow! You're loading 13.7 grains of Unique in a 45 ACP??? I don't think you can get that much Unique in the case.

GG - We've been had. Delete this entire thread.

I'm outta here.

Ray

Roger that. It's 159% of the available capacity.

Fitch

You know Jon, I was kinda wondering if Chuck was using some sort of fixed-bushing powder thrower and confusing the bushing number with a specific powder weight. Either way, he is playing with fire and needs to become more familiar with safe handloading procedures. If he starts using Bullseye instead of Unique, as per his original post, there's no telling what will happen.

JMHO

Ray

You know Jon, I was kinda wondering if Chuck was using some sort of fixed-bushing powder thrower and confusing the bushing number with a specific powder weight. Either way, he is playing with fire and needs to become more familiar with safe handloading procedures. If he starts using Bullseye instead of Unique, as per his original post, there's no telling what will happen.

JMHO

Ray

On the contrary, predicting what wil happen is pretty easy: grenade. Back in the day, some police depts used convict labor to load practice ammo-light Bullseye 38 wadcutter (not sure who had this bright idea). A lot of revolvers blew up and some cops were injured from "accidental" double & triple charges. 13.7 grns of Bullseye is WAY too much in anything I mess with, and as you pointed out, using the same weight charges for different powder (especially Bullseye & Unique) does NOT work.

Back