What's new
What's new

Why Blueprint an Action?

bradjacob

Titanium
I haven't touched any part of a gun yet, because I'm just trying to learn, learn, learn....

So, I know that blueprinting trues up surfaces and removes any oval from threads, etc, but what I'm wondering is why? Is it to remove risk (is it dangerous)? Or does it improve the accuracy?

The theory is that having everything perfectly square and inline improves repeatability in the system and thereby gives better groups. The problem for those of us that sell it, we can't really prove it. The benefits of it would only show up after 1000s of rounds shot in a machine rest and no one to date has ever tested it or come up with a logical way to test it. It definitely won't hurt anything and most of the top shooters are only shooting custom actions that come out of the machines square and true to the world or actions that have been reworked. From an economic standpoint it decidedly makes more sense to buy a custom action. Its much easier to get your money out of it if you ever go to sell it.

Improves accuracy, supposed to anyway. What I don't know if why the heck they call it "blueprinting"...

Edit, definitely makes more sense to me as well to get a real custom action, there's so many available at reasonable prices.

We could compare it to the guys that put 30K to tune up a civic, instead of buying a proper sporty car for 60K that's all ready to go.

I think the term blueprinting came out of the engine (V-8 type) rebuilding /high performance industry. Cast iron blocks from the big three thru the 80's were noted to have core shift and just generally unacceptable tolerances when it comes to high performance. Things like line boring mains and cam bearing surfaces are a couple things that come to mind that engine builders try to bring back in line with the "blueprints". Mike

The idea is that if you bring the bolt, barrel, receiver all into alignment on the same axis, you can cut a tighter chamber, get the cartridge fed into the chamber with tighter tolerances and get greater repeatability.

As omrc7771 said above, I first heard the term "blueprinting" in the high performance cars/drag racing context where it meant remachining the engine (mostly the block and heads) to the most advantageous dimensions allowed by the tolerances (this was for "production" classes where it still had to resemble a factory part.) So you would bore the cylinders to the plus tolerance diameter as you could pick up a couple of cubic inches that way, etc., etc., etc.

Not a direct equivalent to action tuning but more like the idea of adjusting the action manufacturing flaws by corrective action of the rebuilder.

On the older military and sporting actions blueprinting would surely give you something. Recievers were moved from fixture to fixture to progressively finish them. I just recently screwed off the barrel on a 1917 Enfield and saw where the face of the reciever was out of square. I lapped on the high side and touched up the chamber to fix it. I know it is better than it was, by how much who knows.
The newer recievers made on CNCs from bar stock are a completely different story. I am a production machinist not a gunsmith, but I know in production to save time you do as many operations as you can in one chucking. If threads and bolt bores are done in one operation they are dead nuts concentric. If the face is done in the same operation as the threads then it is perfectly square when it comes off the machine. Will you lose a little in heat treat? Yeah, but not much since modern heat treat is very much better controled than the old days. If you re tap one of these new recievers I think you are kidding your self if you think the threads are more round or concentric to the bolt bore.
I watched the guys at the old KDF (different than current management) accurize bolt actions to a 1/2 MOA. They definitely did not blueprint, mostly they did pilar bedding, maybe some trigger work or replacement and good reloads. With a 1/2 MOA warantee as the worst that would leave the door, many shot much better. I saw them shoot in a 375H&H magnum an 1/8 group at 100 meters.
A reworked 1917 reciever and bolt could be safer than original. I read an old gunsmithing book and he described safety breaching as an improvement. I have done this to one of my 1917s. I have to say it has not blown up in the 20 years since I have done it. One of these days I will finish it and shoot it. Insert smiley here.

Improves accuracy, supposed to anyway. What I don't know if why the heck they call it "blueprinting"...

The origin of the term "blueprinting" and what it means now as it relates to firearms is two different things. The origin is to make the thing, whether it's an engine or a firearm, match the design intent of the blueprint. Production variations mean that, although it may well be within tolerance, it can still be outside the design intent. MOST of the time drawings for firearms lack tolerances for things like concentrically and squareness. It's hard for something to be out of tolerance if there is no tolerance indicated.

What it means in practical terms, as it relates to firearms, is to to make the action true to the center of the bolt body. Some gunsmiths will ream the action and sleeve the bolt to help achieve that goal. So while they are actually taking the action further from the specs listed in the blueprint, the idea is to achieve design intent not design specifications.

Edit, definitely makes more sense to me as well to get a real custom action, there's so many available at reasonable prices.

That would depend on a couple factors wouldn't it? If you had the action and wanted to "make it better" a custom action wouldn't make so much sense. You know... Dad's old rifle that never shot worth a damn... Hard to get that out of a custom action

If you wanted to do the work yourself to have something you put your "mark" on... Can't get that from a custom action.

Now if you are starting from scratch and want someone else to do the work... Buy a custom action. By the time you get done paying someone to "blueprint" (NOT THE $200 "truing") an action you could have bought a custom action. If you start with a Remington 700, when you are all done poring cash into it you will have an action that will shot on par with any custom action... However, it will still be a Remington 700 and nothing more!

We could compare it to the guys that put 30K to tune up a civic, instead of buying a proper sporty car for 60K that's all ready to go.

Actually it is nothing like that. The cost is so close to the same that it is negligible. And BR matches are still won from time to time with blueprinted mass produced action dispite the rarity of them being entered into competition any more. In terms of cost AND quality, there is just not that much difference. I have done a couple of my own rifles and if you can do the work your self it is dirt cheap... All it takes is time. Which, if you are paying for someone else, adds up to a basket of cash. In terms of tool wear and electricity I doubt I have $100 into blueprinting my 700 (probably close to $40 or $50). But like I said, it doesn't matter that I have shot groups in the high tees with it... It's still a F'ing 700 to anyone else.

Just from how they act when you true up the threads I would guess a lot of mass produced actions have the barrel threads tapped, and on the 5 I have done that tapped thread was tapered and also eccentric to the bolt bore.

Bill

If you want to do it Pacific Tool and Gauge sells most all of the equipment needed. You can also make the tooling yourself. It's almost cheaper to buy it if your time is money though. You can't compete with a CNC, unless you happen to own one.

If you want to do it Pacific Tool and Gauge sells most all of the equipment needed. You can also make the tooling yourself. It's almost cheaper to buy it if your time is money though. You can't compete with a CNC, unless you happen to own one.

Agreed... This is something I'm doing a whole lot of reading & researching, learning on, BEFORE I put any tool to metal. My goal would be to do some work on old barrels and actions that I can pick up at shows, etc. Do the work and learn the skill, THEN be able to do some work for local people.

It's really for the enjoyment above all, for me.

The origin of the term "blueprinting" and what it means now as it relates to firearms is two different things. The origin is to make the thing, whether it's an engine or a firearm, match the design intent of the blueprint. Production variations mean that, although it may well be within tolerance, it can still be outside the design intent. MOST of the time drawings for firearms lack tolerances for things like concentrically and squareness. It's hard for something to be out of tolerance if there is no tolerance indicated.

What it means in practical terms, as it relates to firearms, is to to make the action true to the center of the bolt body. Some gunsmiths will ream the action and sleeve the bolt to help achieve that goal. So while they are actually taking the action further from the specs listed in the blueprint, the idea is to achieve design intent not design specifications.

That would depend on a couple factors wouldn't it? If you had the action and wanted to "make it better" a custom action wouldn't make so much sense. You know... Dad's old rifle that never shot worth a damn... Hard to get that out of a custom action

If you wanted to do the work yourself to have something you put your "mark" on... Can't get that from a custom action.

Now if you are starting from scratch and want someone else to do the work... Buy a custom action. By the time you get done paying someone to "blueprint" (NOT THE $200 "truing") an action you could have bought a custom action. If you start with a Remington 700, when you are all done poring cash into it you will have an action that will shot on par with any custom action... However, it will still be a Remington 700 and nothing more!

Actually it is nothing like that. The cost is so close to the same that it is negligible. And BR matches are still won from time to time with blueprinted mass produced action dispite the rarity of them being entered into competition any more. In terms of cost AND quality, there is just not that much difference. I have done a couple of my own rifles and if you can do the work your self it is dirt cheap... All it takes is time. Which, if you are paying for someone else, adds up to a basket of cash. In terms of tool wear and electricity I doubt I have $100 into blueprinting my 700 (probably close to $40 or $50). But like I said, it doesn't matter that I have shot groups in the high tees with it... It's still a F'ing 700 to anyone else.

As usual you are full of bull shit. I have not seen a factory action or"blueprinted one" on the firing line in the last 15-20 years of shooting BR let alone winning a match. If you can go back to your Michigan forums, do so, or are you still banned?

As usual you are full of bull shit. I have not seen a factory action or"blueprinted one" on the firing line in the last 15-20 years of shooting BR let alone winning a match.

...dispite the rarity of them being entered into competition any more.

Open your fucking eyes asshole!!! They are there. Not as common as they were, but still to be found!

If you can go back to your Michigan forums, do so, or are you still banned?

I never was banned from any Michigan forum you piece of shit!!! I still have the most viewed thread in the gunsmithing section (by more than a 2:1 margin) and was a major contributor to the third most viewed thread. Crazy what happens when you actually DO something rather than shoot of your fucking mouth!

HA HA HA HA!!!!
You are soo much fun!. I haven't quite met a person that is so sold on himself like you or so easy to aggravate. You make me come back to the forum to just get your goat and to let you expand your vocabulary.
HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

HA HA HA HA!!!!
You are soo much fun!. I haven't quite met a person that is so sold on himself like you or so easy to aggravate. You make me come back to the forum to just get your goat and to let you expand your vocabulary.
HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Yup! I find stupid very aggravating. Why don't you try to actually post something of use or value? Oh, I forgot... You don't know anything of value!

Oh HA HA HA HA!
Are you qualified to judge anybody? How long have you been a blacksmith?
Again HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Oh HA HA HA HA!
Are you qualified to judge anybody? How long have you been a blacksmith?
Again HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Like I said, asshat, "Why don't you try to actually post something of use or value?" Trying to make your self look better by insulting others will accomplish neither. You have 200+ posts and no value at all in a one of them.

Back