What's new
What's new

Winchester 1895 Russian Musket Cartridge Clip Guide Screw Needed 3/16 - 36

Texas Bear

Plastic
I need some Winchester 1895 Russian Musket Cartridge Clip Guide Screws. They are a 3/16-36 thread. I knew that they are not standard in the US but thought I could find a shop to make some, 30 to 100, for a reasonable price.
It is very close to the Winchester 1873 Side Tang Screw. (The head is slightly different and the length is close.)
Thus far the places I have contacted are to busy, to high, or cutback on work. If anyone has a suggestion of a place to make these I would appreciate knowing.
I have one for a sample, and one Clip for testing it on. Also, depending on the price, I might get 20 or so Clips.

I can't believe you can't find somebody local who will do this but your quantities are not of such magnitude that will justify any special tooling. They will be made one at a time with price commensurate with the time it takes. Don't expect them to be cheap.

Now a #10 screw is virtually the same as 3/16" so maybe you can use a 10-36 or modify a 10-36 to your requirements. 10-36 is standard in the UNS series.

I can't believe you can't find somebody local who will do this but your quantities are not of such magnitude that will justify any special tooling. They will be made one at a time with price commensurate with the time it takes. Don't expect them to be cheap.

Now a #10 screw is virtually the same as 3/16" so maybe you can use a 10-36 or modify a 10-36 to your requirements. 10-36 is standard in the UNS series.

This firearm was never Metric (that I am aware of.[1].). but from a repair done ages ago on something unrelated, ISTR there is ALSO a Metric machine-screw that by coincidence, not design, is a close fit to the US/Imperial one.

'nuther approach... how practical would it be to re-tap for a machine-screw that IS readily available or available as 'close' then readily modified (length o/a, head shape, etc.)?

Bill

[1] Even had Winchester been contracted to convert, Russia was not ON the metric system as-of WWI. Had their own 'none of the above' standards for measure.

If you need 3/16 x 36 dies, try Victornet.com. They do specials.. Any local gunsmith, should be able to do a few screws with a die, and slitting saw for screw head..... A geometric type die set, would be better for production...

If 10-36 threads will work, it is a stock item... High Speed Round Adjustable Dies - special thread up to 1/2".

Not a lot of stress on a Winchester 1895 clip guide screw...

Reproducing screws that will fit original Russian 1895 contract guns, makes sense.. Only a limited demand though.. Being gun screws, all will be special, and just close enough (wrong slot width/head shape) .. Stands out like a Great Dane, at a cat show..

Being gun screws, all will be special, and just close enough wrong slot width/head shape .. Stands out like a dog, at a cat show..

So many different breeds o' cat at such events as that 1895 is ever likely to visit, ain't sure anyone would have time to notice if even they knew the difference atall..

Put a dab of glow paint on it, and claim it was one of the rare ones configured for reloading easier in low-visibility pre-dawn combat?

:)

3/16"-36 will work, I recently passed a tap on to a friend. But, being Winchester, it could be 3/16"-35-1/2 as this thread was in use on other of their firearms in this timeframe.

Personally I hate the ugly threads I normally see with adjustable dies. Self opening dies are too expensive for this project. I would single point the threads on a small CNC. Figure about $250 to $350 to set up the 3 operations #1 thread and cut off #2 finish the head #3 slot. Figure about $1.00 to $1.50 for each screw plus the set up and material. Send me a PM if this is the kind of money you were planning on paying for these screws.

The thread on Winchesters is 35 1/2 tpi but most of the guys that make screws use 36 tpi. And 3/16 is .005 smaller that a #10 screw a # 10 screw may or not screw into a 3/16 hole. I would check with Wisner's,Winchester bob's,Buckingham's. I have lots of 1885 screws if you send me a print I will look to see if any would work or could be modified to work I don't have my bar feeder set up at this time so I can't make them. Ken as so sent you a pm

Regarding a price I considered high: $15 per screw for 100 screws: Total $1500. Is this reasonable or high? I have now received another price of $5 per screw for any number of screws, which is more than reasonable. I know time cost and equipment cost. Thanks for many good suggestions.

$1500 isn't really out of line, probably would be about the same price for 200 or 300.
now if the price stays at $15 per at higher quantity that would be a being taken.

at $5 per some one made a batch already

Regarding a price I considered high: $15 per screw for 100 screws: Total $1500. Is this reasonable or high? I have now received another price of $5 per screw for any number of screws, which is more than reasonable. I know time cost and equipment cost. Thanks for many good suggestions.
Just for comparison:
350 set up
45 to run 30 pcs
25 material stress proof or W1 not heat treated
420 total or $14.00 each

350 set up
150 run 100 pcs
75 material
575 total or $5.75 each
We do not get every job we bid one so there are some that do cheaper work out there. No mention was made of heat treat, bluing or extra long length. These would effect the price, but the prices I mentioned are for my shop with the right size CNC lathe to run these and a slotting machine already set up for similar work.

ISTR there is ALSO a Metric machine-screw that by coincidence, not design, is a close fit to the US/Imperial one.

M4.5 is .177" dia and M5.0 is .196" dia. a 0.5 pitch is about 50.8 TPI, a 0.75 pitch is about 33.9 TPI, and a 0.8 pitch is 31.75 TPI. A #10 is closer.

ISTR there is ALSO a Metric machine-screw that by coincidence, not design, is a close fit to the US/Imperial one.

M4.5 is .177" dia and M5.0 is .196" dia. a 0.5 pitch is about 50.8 TPI, a 0.75 pitch is about 33.9 TPI, and a 0.8 pitch is 31.75 TPI. A #10 is closer.

True.

But 33.9 TPI in a hole tapped 35.5 TPI actually CAN work in a short-enough depth to self-lock on interference. Even when the diameter is a slop fit. And then there is Loctite.

Doubt I am the only one ever to acid-etch, neutralize, brush-up a couple of fasteners either. Didn't always HAVE a screw-cutting lathe to-hand.

Nor a need so severe as to spend $1500 on the small stuff. I'd just do without the extra magazines and reload the fewer, oftener in this case.

Off-topic, but I don't see the firearm they are FOR as all that good a choice, a hundred years or so out of heat-treat, for such heavy hammering as needs the extra loaded-up magazine capacity anyway.

Something far more expensive could suffer.

Bill

Back