What's new
What's new

02 SL30 24VDC problems... Servo brakes, hydraulic motor...

Deezums

Plastic
I'm trying to resurrect this lathe, everything wants to be broken.

A few weeks ago I had this problem, the 24V power supply right to the left of the vector drive quit. This thing unlocks the servo brakes, turns on the hydraulic pump and possibly more. Either way, it's no good when it's not making voltage. I'm still not 100% sure how I fixed it last time, didn't replace anything. Probably just reset all the relays and cables, that's not working now.

The Vector drive in the same lathe is toast, won't accelerate past 800RPM without dropping voltage below 270V. Can't even limp it past 2500 rpm or so, that's all she's got. While diagnosing the drive I noticed that the low voltage power supply board relays would click as I moved the heavy regen/braking wiring up to the stovetop coils. Here a few hours later I still can't find a loose connection or any reason why this thing shouldn't be working.

While discussing the new rebuilt vector drive with the repair guys they mentioned a "low voltage retrofit kit" from haas for around $600 or so. It's supposed to replace this crummy PCB, does anyone know about this?

POWER SUPPLY, LOW VOLT KIT CONDOR | Power Supply | Electrical Cabinet | Find Replacement Parts | Haas Parts | Genuine OEM Haas Automation(R) Parts Factory-Direct

IMG_20170522_103507.jpg

It looks like a simple 115VAC transformer ran through a set of diodes with some relays to trigger it all. Still don't understand the hydraulic pump, looks like a simple breaker to me, not sure how it's triggering that on or off with the 24V supply, but it is. I know it's got 115V, and it has full three phase across the top breaker for the hydraulic pump. Why no go!!

Any tips or schematics, anything is greatly appreciated!! My goal at this point is to somehow jump 24V from another power supply over to the servos to unlock them, plus power the hydraulic pump or it's relay wherever it might be. All so I can hopefully make parts tomorrow and up till the replacement power supply is in, gotta pay for the rebuilt vector drive and it's shipping somehow :D

Thanks guys!

So a few more days of troubleshooting and a few more updates.

The vector drive was not bad, replacement still hits low DC bus voltages. I can run 1200RPM without getting into low voltage alarms, so slightly better.

The machine was wired in on 4 gauge when I started, I'm not an electrician but everything I could find told me that was too small for 100A at 50 feet. Replaced with 2 gauge with no improvement. Looking for voltage drop and found none. The panel is shared with a shop next door, I would see 100A on one phase, 15 on the second, and two on the third, No good! Moved over to a different breaker box and it's fixed, or it's a lot, lot better. Still takes longer than I'd like to spin to 3500 but I guess I'm hourly. No real chance of getting higher amp service, either. Bring me a SL20 I guess?? Doubt this one will last long running low on amps like it is.

I removed the 24V supply and took a look, it's pretty basic. The I/O board in the lower left triggers 115V from the power distribution board on the upper right. This 115V is used to click on three relay coils for the hydraulic pump, and another 115V output is used to turn on the relay for the 24V servo brake output. This board has 115V for the low volt transformer at all times, directly from the power distribution board.

You can "borrow" the 115V signal wire pigtail for the hydraulic pump output off the I/O board and plug it directly into the 115V spares on the power distribution board to turn on the hydraulic pump 24/7, since the 24V transformer is hot at all times all I had to do was pop the relay and short the contacts. No more servo brake, and hydraulic pressure!

Sadly this isn't enough, I now believe the I/O board is fried. I am still missing the air solenoid to pop the turret as well as clamp/unclamp, tailstock rapid/jog, lots more I probably haven't found yet. I am getting good with haas parameters and disabling axis and zero returns...

I removed the I/O board, verified it's getting power, and traced all the sockets to their traces to be sure nothing snapped free. Still no 115V out, even though it's got three phase 115V at connector P56. I've checked the fuse, some varistors, the relays, and all the interconnecting wiring. Despite hearing the relays click on and off as though powered through an intermittent connection the other day I can't find it or replicate that again!!

I guess at this point I'm just hoping someone else has dealt with this before and might know if I'm wasting my time replacing the I/O board. I guess it could still be the mocon or main CPU, that was replaced two years ago apparently. The "computer" power supply measures out alright, about as far as I know how to test on that thing yet.

Thanks for reading this far, and for any help in advance!

I feel like an idiot, but it turns out it's the cable between the power distribution board and the I/O board. A crimped pin on the three phase 115V connector fried itself. Haas doesn't know what a relay is, so they used triacs. Even better, they use a rectifier to make DC voltages to power the gate on the triac, powered off one of the three 115V phases. Absolutely none of this is documented anywhere, haas documentation sucks, schematics do not exist.

One pin was loose, not the rectified phase that is used after the optocouplers to trigger the gate on the triac, but the actual load voltage. The I/O board was switching, it just had nothing to switch on.

$15 for a new one from Haas, and they'll sell it to me without sending a guy out!

Back