What's new
What's new

1991 Haas window replacement

eksinger

Aluminum
Iv'e been dredding this one.. every post i've read said this was a real "Bitch" to do.. well it was time to tackle it.. the last owner fixed it with duct tape and called it good.. I think it's kinda embarrassing but no matter.. it's just me and the machine for the most part. and little by little i'm getting it square up in pretty good shap so far.. I hope.. so now the window is out.. that didn't take too much effort. just a little prying here and there.. cleaned up the rubber gasket.. the previous post were right on the money when they said the gasket will be getting soft and spongy and over all "icky".. it was..

I bought a drop from the local plastic supplier.. got a good deal with it being a coated polycarbonate. it's supposed to be resistant to scraches.. with what goes on inside these machines i know this won't be the case.. but it should last for quite a while.

I placed the old window over the top of the sheet stock and use my jigsaw to cut the shape. belt sanded the edges smooth and now ready to put it.. next comes the tricky part..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 382
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 397
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 370
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 357
I'm not sure if there is a better way of doing this.. but i went back to my tire grunt day's, thinking this looked pretty doable.. first off I coated the rubber gasket with dawn liquid soap. then tryed to fit the new window in using a basic screwdriver and just worked it in.. I think I got lucky and got it in the first try.. The bottom of the gasket was still in pretty good shape and held together. Now it's all cleaned up and ready for another 22 years..
It makes the other side look crap but I think we'll wait on this one.

6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

Another good way is to take a piece of nylon rope in a small diameter and wrap it around the groove in the seal. Lube it up like you did and insert the bottom lip of the seal into the window opening. As you pull the string out use your hand to seat the window into position.

It's the same principle used to install windows on the old school VW's.

Looks like you did a pretty good job, Kudo's.

I currently have one of these machines in a VF-1 model and we just bought a second one a couple weeks ago. The third one is being lined up for purchase as soon as our dealer works his deal with another company. There good little machines and I know it's new to you at this point but if your ever in the market to sell it give me a shout.

Have fun and good luck, Peace.

Another good way is to take a piece of nylon rope in a small diameter and wrap it around the groove in the seal. Lube it up like you did and insert the bottom lip of the seal into the window opening. As you pull the string out use your hand to seat the window into position.

It's the same principle used to install windows on the old school VW's.

I was curious on method you described .. so i found a You tubed video on the subject.. this is definately an interesting method... and becomes a two person job..
Thanks for the schooling.. :)
Classic VW Beetle Bug How to Install Windows Tip C. Vallone - YouTube

Back