What's new
What's new

2 questions about the Haas control

litlerob1

Diamond
Situation; I am sick of taking long tools out at the end of the day, so when we power up the TRM in the morning the tools in the carousel don't hit the fourth. How can I get around it? Can I make the X axis home to the left side of the table instead of the right side?

Second situation; Today we had a power surge that shut everything down the Haas 1600 Horizontal was balls deep in a cut. I was afraid if I hit powerup/restart that the A axis would start first (it didn't luckily). But now that I am writing I think I can specify each axis individually correct? But wait, let's say you are in the middle of undercutting something or you are thread milling or the like, and you shut down, is there a way to jog axes before powerup/restart? That's a better question.:smoking:

Thanks fellas, Robert

setting 53 (I am pretty sure) jog with out zero return.

Use the letters on the keypad for the axis, the "Axis zero return" or some similar name to zero one axis at a time.

I have no idea if you can change the home position. Power up the toolchanger, and then zero return each axis individually, then then hand jog to where you need to for the next axis. Or park the tool carousel before power down? Or park the machine right next to the home positions with the tools out of the way so the machine doesn't need to move much at power up?

Or just leave the machine on, it doesn't take that much power.

I don't know what kind of clearance condition you have between the carousel and the 4th. Would it help to load the longest tools in at T20, T19, etc so that they are farther back after the carousel has homed? Or maybe some other position would work better.

There's a setting called "tool at startup" or something similar. Set it to zero and it won't change tools at all during power up/restart. Works on side mounts anyway.

What's a TRM?

EDIT... TRM = Tool Room Mill? Why not just say TM1 or whatever it actually is?

There's a setting called "tool at startup" or something similar. Set it to zero and it won't change tools at all during power up/restart. Works on side mounts anyway.

What's a TRM?

True, but the carousel still moves. At least it does on our UMC. There is no actual toolchange, but if a similar thing happened to him it sounds like that is the problem. Not familiar with the umbrella however.

edit: setting 81, tool at power up = 0 = no toolchange

Just thinking out loud here. On two Haas I used with the 4th axis, both were on the right side of table. Isn't the tool carousel on the left side of machine?

Just thinking out loud here. On two Haas I used with the 4th axis, both were on the right side of table. Isn't the tool carousel on the left side of machine?

It might be...but homing machine at startup can have umbrella indexing tool in carousel almost over the 4th...so long tooling can and will collide. Never a pretty picture.

Don't they make bigger machines so this doesn't happen? :D

I have the same sort of issue when I try to home my VF3 with a 30" wide part on the table :)

Because it's a tool room mill.??? AND that is what it "actually" is. :D

Don't they make bigger machines so this doesn't happen? :D

Yes Hu, we have the H1600 with a 50 taper, it gives plenty of clearance until you try to change tools with the 16" face mill in the spindle, doesn't like to get through that huge/little door for the side mount ATC. (Seriously new job, but 16" that my friends is heavy fuck off facemill)

Thank you, Robert

Situation; I am sick of taking long tools out at the end of the day, so when we power up the TRM in the morning the tools in the carousel don't hit the fourth. How can I get around it? Can I make the X axis home to the left side of the table instead of the right side?

Second situation; Today we had a power surge that shut everything down the Haas 1600 Horizontal was balls deep in a cut. I was afraid if I hit powerup/restart that the A axis would start first (it didn't luckily). But now that I am writing I think I can specify each axis individually correct? But wait, let's say you are in the middle of undercutting something or you are thread milling or the like, and you shut down, is there a way to jog axes before powerup/restart? That's a better question.:smoking:

Thanks fellas, Robert

For your first situation, the answer is no, the homing sequence is hardcoded into the software. For this situation you would need to home each axis individually.

For the second scenario, power up restart will always do Z axis first then perform x,y at the same time; A axis is last. But for certain situations such as an undercut scenario, brian has it right with the "jog without zero return". Turn this setting on and the machine will let you jog any axis at .001"/rev or less so that you can safely clear any tool or condition. Once at a safe spot, you can use power up restart or do each axis seperately again.

As a side note, for those who want to occasionally home the machine without tool change but not necessarily every time, there is a way to do it without without altering setting 81 each time. Instead of Power Up Restart, go to Zero Return Mode then press the Auto All Axis or Auto All (depends on age of keypad). This will home the machine axis the same way Power Up Restart does but does not do the tool change.

^^^This...Or buy Okuma's. They don't lose home position;):D

New job not my machinery, there are 4 Okumas in the building, they are part of the reason I was hired. BUT the Okuma equivalent of the the Haas 1600 Horizontal with 220 tools? Million maybe??? You get what you pay for, and that thing from my understanding has paid for itself 10x KnowhatImean

Robert

you can put it on any side you want. the connections for it are on the other side of the machine though. just has to be programmed to match which side your holding on to.

I run a tm1p every day. I never use power up restart. Always use zero return all is my stand by.

Back