What's new
What's new

2001 VF3 cabinet fan problem

comp 670

Aluminum
I have a 2001 VF3 and the fan on the cabinet door quit working. I checked for voltage and have 114.7 volts there so I figured the fan was bad and bought a new one but it would not work either. So then I plugged the "bad" fan into the plug for the fan right below the servos and it works. Plug it back into the door cabinet plug and nothing, even though it shows 114.7 volts?

The "output" on the circuit board is P5 and I get 114.7 volts there. Also checked P6, the one that powers the other fan (the one that works) and same voltage. If I plug the fan that works into P5 I get nothing even though it shows 114.7 volts?

What am I doing wrong to figure this out?

Reactions: yuy
Measuring AC or DC? And are you measuring with the fan connected? If the fan is controlled by a semiconductor it could be leaking enough current to measure the full voltage but not able to supply the current required for the fan. Have you plugged the old or new fan into the P6 and vice versa (other fan into P5)?

Measuring AC voltage. Both fans work when plugged into P6. (the one for the fan below the servos) Neither fan works when plugged into P5 (door fan output).. I have not measured voltage with the fan plugged in.

Could both fans be run off P6? or would that create a overload on that circuit? Is there some other place in the cabinet I can get 115V to run the fan without screwing something else up?

My machine is a '91 so probably not the same inside. I do not know the current rating of the P5/P6 outputs but I would guess Haas did not provide that much over current rating. If the fan is supposed to run whenever the machine is on you could find the 115VAC leg of the power wires that supplies the output board and wire into that after the breaker.

You should be able to find some spare 115v plugs connections at the Power distribution PCB; the one right next to the main disconnect.
These will be energized whenever the machine is on.

I ran into this too. Turns out Haas went' "Green" and the fan only comes on when the electrical cabinet reaches a certain temperature.
Can anybody else here confirm this is right? I have the same problem. Fan is not running but i have voltage at the plug.

Put the fan on a bench and apply power directly and it runs fine. Just want to be sure this is how its designed to work. Seems strange to have a cnc cabinet with no fan.

Quote from an older post "I used a hot air gun to heat the sensor switch and it didn't turn on until 50 degrees C (120 deg F) I think this is pretty hot like an oven really"
So it would seem so. temperature activated.

Back