What's new
What's new

2002 Haas SL-10 Coolant Tank / Drain Update

Edster

Diamond
I had a 2002 Haas SL-10 Lathe with a coolant tank that was built into the base casting. It was a PITA to clean and or change the coolant. I found out there was an update to the drain system from Haas, because the drain would sometimes plug with chips and the chip pan would fill with coolant. We had to remove the chip pan to install the new drain box. I was glad I did because I found a 5 gallon bucket of chips lodged in the coolant tank. It didn't help that Haas installed a stainless steel baffle between the tank (under the pan) and the sump (off to the side of the machine where the pump is located). The baffle had a row of holes in the bottom so coolant could drain but it also blocked the flow of chips to the sump area where they could easily be removed. The pump is protected by a basket screen so chips in the sump is not a problem.

We removed the baffle and installed the drain box. Afterwards cleaning the coolant tank was much easier. After removing the drain box a hose can be used to wash the chips down to the sump for easier cleanout.

Seems like there have been quite a few posts lately on the SL-10 coolant tank and I thought I'd share our story.

drain1.jpg drain2.jpg drain3.jpg drain4.jpg drain5.jpg

Back