What's new
What's new

237 spindle following error?

csharp

Stainless
I just started getting a 237 spindle following error. Anyone have an suggestions what to look for?

It is a 2011 HAAS VF3, 7500rpm, gearbox.

DC bus voltage is 340v-350v

When is running I don't see and speed fluctuations and the actual and command speeds match.
Did it a couple of times on start up and once when in a feed move between cuts so the speed was already stable and no load on spindle.

Would it be safe to assume the encoded is the problem?

A lot of times, the 237 alarm will indicate a problem with the encoder. However, on that age of machine I have seen different issues caused a faulty cable, but I have not personally seen the 237 though.

How often does the alarm occur?

Some things to try before replacing parts would be to disconnect and reconnect all plugs/connectors for the encoder to make sure they have good contact.
Then you could try cutting the zip ties that hold the power portion of the cable and the encoder portion of the cable, then separating the two as best you can to help eliminate any potential interference the power side may be having on the encoder side.

If neither of these two options give any results, then you may want to call in a tech. They can install new parts one at a time to see which one fixes the issue.
Only call them in when the problem returns consistently, otherwise it will be more of a guess at which one to replace then wait and see.

Good luck!

A lot of times, the 237 alarm will indicate a problem with the encoder. However, on that age of machine I have seen different issues caused a faulty cable, but I have not personally seen the 237 though.

How often does the alarm occur?

Some things to try before replacing parts would be to disconnect and reconnect all plugs/connectors for the encoder to make sure they have good contact.
Then you could try cutting the zip ties that hold the power portion of the cable and the encoder portion of the cable, then separating the two as best you can to help eliminate any potential interference the power side may be having on the encoder side.

If neither of these two options give any results, then you may want to call in a tech. They can install new parts one at a time to see which one fixes the issue.
Only call them in when the problem returns consistently, otherwise it will be more of a guess at which one to replace then wait and see.

Good luck!

Thanks, it is actually pretty regular. I watched it closely and the RPMs do start to channge from command RPM buy about 15rpm up and down. Then the least time is started grumbling pretty good, I kind of figured it was fighting itself on RPM. I replaced the encoded back in 2013.

Well I got it taken apart last night and there was a slight pinch in the encode wire where it bent around the gearbox oil pump bracket. I appeared to have nicked the outer sheath of the cable. Did not appear to go thru or expose the armor under it. I routed it differently and put it back together and it seems to be running fine. I did pull the encoder out and the bearing felt smooth. The last one I replaced the bearing was pretty rough rolling.

Is there any way to get it installed incorrectly? I assume the small aluminum spacer/standoff is the correct height to preload the encoder bearing. You can see there is some spring tension on it.
File_000.jpg

Once the encoder was back on I warmed up machine and while running put my hand on top of the encode and you can feel a little vibration. So who knows maybe it is going bad. I will try to run today and see what happens.

Back