What's new
What's new

309 Max Feed Rate Alarm Issue Workaround?

Stoney83

Aluminum
Long story short; I started my business with a Haas TM2P and upgraded to a VF4SS some time ago

All of my original parts where programmed on the TM2P and all the new stuff is programmed for the VF4SS. All of the fixtures are interchangeable and the material I cut is not sensitive to feeds/speeds. So on the VF4SS most of the surfacing operations are programmed at 700 ipm (which the machine never hits) and 7500-12000 RPM.

I would like to simply run the same new programs on the TM2P but get a"309 Max Feed Rate Alarm".... Surprisingly enough there is no issue with the RPM... Parts programmed at 12000 RPM run at 6000 RPM. But anything that exceeds the max feed rate of the TM2P gives an alarm. The amount of programs I have is in the 1000's... I really don't want to edit all the programs (although I could edit certain family's of parts)

So is there a way to default the max feed on the TM2P to 400 ipm (which the machine is rated at) for parts programmed at higher feeds? Any advice would be appreciated!

Long story short; I started my business with a Haas TM2P and upgraded to a VF4SS some time ago

All of my original parts where programmed on the TM2P and all the new stuff is programmed for the VF4SS. All of the fixtures are interchangeable and the material I cut is not sensitive to feeds/speeds. So on the VF4SS most of the surfacing operations are programmed at 700 ipm (which the machine never hits) and 7500-12000 RPM.

I would like to simply run the same new programs on the TM2P but get a"309 Max Feed Rate Alarm".... Surprisingly enough there is no issue with the RPM... Parts programmed at 12000 RPM run at 6000 RPM. But anything that exceeds the max feed rate of the TM2P gives an alarm. The amount of programs I have is in the 1000's... I really don't want to edit all the programs (although I could edit certain family's of parts)

So is there a way to default the max feed on the TM2P to 400 ipm (which the machine is rated at) for parts programmed at higher feeds? Any advice would be appreciated!
on some fanac machines it is adjusted by editing a parameter. also most likely it can be just not exceed max feed rate (limit to max feed rate but still run) or be set to give a alarm and stop
look in parameter list ??

Why make a mountain out of a molehill? If you run it on the VF4 leave it alone, if you run it on the TM2 find and replace on the control assuming all the feed rates are the same. Should take all of 5 minutes and isn't something I'd worry about.

on some fanac machines it is adjusted by editing a parameter. also most likely it can be just not exceed max feed rate (limit to max feed rate but still run) or be set to give a alarm and stop
look in parameter list ??

Its Haas Parameter 59 which is locked out

Why make a mountain out of a molehill? If you run it on the VF4 leave it alone, if you run it on the TM2 find and replace on the control assuming all the feed rates are the same. Should take all of 5 minutes and isn't something I'd worry about.

The VF4 is booked solid and I would like to split the work load more evenly so one person can run two machines. Plus there a literally 1000+ programs on the USB which where all made for the VF4... and each program probably has an average of 20 operations. You are correct it would take 5 minutes to update the program on the control.. however the part run times are around 8-15 minutes in the TM2P and probably half that in the VF4

I still don't know what the issue is, put the program on the machine, Edit>F1>Find replace>F700.>F400.>All

Done and go about your day. This is a 30 second task that is independent of the VF4. Unless each program is only run once I don't see what the issue is.

Doing that find/change on the machine is much slower than on the pc just from experience. I have similar issue going between two machines. I use a mouse with programmable buttons including macros but you can use many other methods. I open macro type what would need to be typed ending with control S and exit. Literally 3 seconds per file. Double click to open. Click button 6. Double click next file... I deal with alphabets so any top level change means changing 72 files minimum. Mastercam can't even open a file as fast as I can macro change 5 of them.

Its Haas Parameter 59 which is locked out
on some fanuc machines you have to in mdi turn PWE or parameter write enable on. then you change the parameter you want. when done you turn PWE off so parameters are not accidentally changed. and sometimes you have to restart machine.
my machine PWE is parameter 8000 but you really need to look at your machines manuals. parameters you have to be real careful and i always write down before and after changes.
also it could be the machine manufacturer does not want higher feeds. mechanically and cnc control may not be able to handle it

I use a little powershell here and there to do things like this. I'm not exactly a wizard by any means, but after a little googling I came up with this(below)

I figure it might be a good idea to keep the programs separate, and probably even renaming the new ones for the TM?

Change the paths to suit your needs. Run only once... it will keep adding -TM to the filename lol. (again i'm not the greatest at powershell, but know enough to be dangerous)

It will copy all the *.nc files from the old path to new, then search and replace in the new folder. (create the new folder first)

$oldpath = "C:\Users\Name\Desktop\nc programs"
$newpath = "C:\Users\Name\Desktop\TM programs\"

$searchfor = "*.nc"
$rename = "-TM.nc"

$File = Get-ChildItem -Path $oldpath -Filter $searchfor -Recurse

Foreach ($f in $File)
{
Copy-Item $f.FullName ($newpath + $f.BaseName + $rename)
}

#find and replace in new path:

$stuff = Get-ChildItem $newpath $searchfor
#add -rec to above for sub dirs
foreach ($prog in $stuff)
{
(Get-Content $prog.PSPath) |
Foreach-Object { $_ -replace "F700.", "F400." } |
Set-Content $prog.PSPath
}

Doing that find/change on the machine is much slower than on the pc just from experience. I have similar issue going between two machines. I use a mouse with programmable buttons including macros but you can use many other methods. I open macro type what would need to be typed ending with control S and exit. Literally 3 seconds per file. Double click to open. Click button 6. Double click next file... I deal with alphabets so any top level change means changing 72 files minimum. Mastercam can't even open a file as fast as I can macro change 5 of them.

I ended up doing them single file in notepad which took roughly 4 hours. Half of the files where compatible with both machines and the other half on a PC went pretty fast. I'd say around 5 files per minute is what I got without a programmable mouse.

If I ever have to do this again (if we get a new faster machine) I'll have to look into batch editors, power shell and some of the other methods mentioned here.

I ended up doing them single file in notepad which took roughly 4 hours. Half of the files where compatible with both machines and the other half on a PC went pretty fast. I'd say around 5 files per minute is what I got without a programmable mouse.

If I ever have to do this again (if we get a new faster machine) I'll have to look into batch editors, power shell and some of the other methods mentioned here.
in notepad under edit use replace
if you put in F400. and want replaced with F500. it will go through file in a second and replace all the F400.
most text editors have a replace feature even notepad

also it could be the machine manufacturer does not want higher feeds. mechanically and cnc control may not be able to handle it
You and those PWE (Fanuc speak, and which Haas doesnt have.) & parameters. Did you miss the part about one machine being capable of 700 in/min, and the other pour cousin only being capable of 400 in/min.

He only wants to prevent an alarm on the slower machine.

Your option is to what? Change the parameters to 1500 in/min and 25,000 r,p.m. And all of a sudden you have converted a Haas in to a Robodrill / Brother.

That
wont
work
dick
head.

You and those PWE (Fanuc speak, and which Haas doesnt have.) & parameters. Did you miss the part about one machine being capable of 700 in/min, and the other pour cousin only being capable of 400 in/min.

He only wants to prevent an alarm on the slower machine.

Your option is to what? Change the parameters to 1500 in/min and 25,000 r,p.m. And all of a sudden you have converted a Haas in to a Robodrill / Brother.

That
wont
work
dick
head.
1) i havent used a Haas in 12 years and never claimed to be a Haas expert
2) a electronic setting i call a parameter many machines use rather than a mechanical switch setting.
3) a electronic setting or parameter that is to be changed being in a specific mode like mdi is not unheard of. and if in the wrong mode cannot change setting is common to many machines
4) changing one setting (parameter) to allow changing a different setting is also not unheard of. thus why i mention changing a parameter to allow changing a different parameter what i call PWE or parameter write enable. it could be password protected but might be a simple change a 0 to 1 to allow changing other settings (parameters)
5) obviously read your particular machine manual. i have changed settings before to change max feed rate before. its not always a machine limit but a optional limit decided by the operator, machine tool builder, etc. sometimes higher feeds cause tool following programmed path errors at too large a amount. i have had machines stop with a alarm cause it exceeded the maximum allowable tool path following error amount. the alarm was also adjustable by a parameter setting. i have had machines stop with alarm cause a servo overheated or overloaded too much
6) obvious read you particular machine manuals

Back