What's new
What's new

Haas Compressed Air Usage

KS_WGB

Plastic
The Service Tech set up my TM-2P today. Everything went great, its level, its clean etc... But I have one nagging issue, how much air does the Haas need when its just sitting and not doing anything? I have a 60 gallon air compressors at 150 PSI, in 15 minutes its empty! Even though the Haas is not running. I was told that the Haas has an air bleed. Does it have to use that much air or can I adjust it? I would prefer not to run my air compressor all the time while using the TM. BTW, I checked and I do not have any leaks in the system. Only the Haas is releasing air.

Thanks

WGB

We installed a TM-2P recently and the air consumtion is not noticable. We have 5hp 60 gallon compessor and it does not cycle any more than it before the TM-2P. Get the tech back something is odd.

Do you have a 4th axis? I have a VF2SS that doesn't use all that much air just idling. I bought a 4th axis a couple of weeks ago and have notices my air consumption go up about twice. Every 20min or so. I have a 80gal compressor.

In my expience and that of a co-worker we are of the opion that HAAS mills are in no way immune to air problems. Mine have stemmed from small leaks causing consant alarms to dropped tools. Just idling and using that much air seems fishy, can you hear, trace and id. the escaping air? If so go from there, check for fault, although this should register or maybe adjust as mentioned above. We have a hughe G & L VMC at work and it only cycles the 5 hp 60 gallon every 20 min or so when idling not empying the tank ever. Plus the lube system is air driven.

Loud hiss at idle = problem. Probably a tool changer issue, is it the same hiss as when a tool is changed. By the way our TM-2P has a forth axis.

Athack

No 4th axis here. Just a standard TM-2P with a loud hiss when idle.

Air is released around the spindle to keep chips and such out when you are machining. You will be able to hear it and feel it. But, when the spindle stops, the air will end in a minute or two. If it does not, then there is a problem.

When your machine is on, but not running, it should use little or no air. Sounds like you have leak some place.

Mike

From everything I read it seems like I have a leak. I will try to track it down on Monday. Thank you and Merry Christmas everybody!

The spindle and the gun at the front of the machine are the only things that use air. The spindle air should turn off about 5 minutes after the spindle stops, or as soon as E-Stop is pressed. You most likely have a leak, check the air gun first, since it is easily checked, then check the regulator, last the spindle.

The spindle and the gun at the front of the machine are the only things that use air. The spindle air should turn off about 5 minutes after the spindle stops, or as soon as E-Stop is pressed. You most likely have a leak, check the air gun first, since it is easily checked, then check the regulator, last the spindle.

Is this a new feature? Ours only uses air during a tool change.

Probably a leak, there's a very small leak on my 2412 I figure in one of the connections for the puller, but its so tiny I don't care to go in there. Nothing compared to the leaks I had on the compressor.

Turn your spindle on real slow and hold your hand under it. You will feel a small amount of air coming out around the moving part. You will be able to hear it too. If it is not coming out, you have a problem.

Mike

You may want to double check that info. I have a TM and they have grease packed spindles. No air bleed on mine. Only for tool change.

Our VF3 blow air around spindle.

Almost all of our haas had air leaks around the fittings by the regulator.

Turn your spindle on real slow and hold your hand under it. You will feel a small amount of air coming out around the moving part. You will be able to hear it too. If it is not coming out, you have a problem.

Mike

Tried the above with our TM2P, 2 months old, and no air. Spindle speed was around 10 RPM.

Tried the above with our TM2P, 2 months old, and no air. Spindle speed was around 10 RPM.

As mentioned above, if you have a grease packed spindle you may not have air coming out there. Have not used a spindle like that.

One less use of the air.

Mike

I had a Haas tech come today to check that issue plus another one. There are two air regulators on the TM2P. A big black one and a small yellow one next to it. On my machine the yellow regulator was set too high - it is only supposed to have 3psi, plus the air solenoid was not working - it was on all the time. BTW, I asked the tech and air is supposed to come out while the spindle is turning to keep crap out of the taper. So we are getting a new IO board because of this problem and a door release problem that we are also seeing. That should solve the problem.

WGB

Hmm...

I just had Haas out doing an install on a new TM-1P.

I too noticed the hiss, and the second regulator always running.

My tech told me it should turn off after a minute or two, and when it didn't, he called Haas.
They told him that the solenoid, and therefore the second regulator, is always on with the machine, and that it should be set to 5 PSI.

I verified this by tracing the cable.
On mine, the cable runs directly from the solenoid to P14 on the power supply board.
It does not run to the IO board in any fashion.

It annoys me greatly, and is costing me money, by cycling my 60 gallon compressor every 15 minutes.
I want it to stop!

WGB, If indeed yours now turns off, will you please take a look at it, and see how it's connected?

I would like to replicate the setup here...

I am ready to add a switch to mine, but would rather not do that, as I will forget to turn it on.

I have even considered setting it up with one of the spare M codes, but then of course it would only run during a program, not setup.

Hmm...

I just had Haas out doing an install on a new TM-1P.

I too noticed the hiss, and the second regulator always running.

My tech told me it should turn off after a minute or two, and when it didn't, he called Haas.
They told him that the solenoid, and therefore the second regulator, is always on with the machine, and that it should be set to 5 PSI.

I verified this by tracing the cable.
On mine, the cable runs directly from the solenoid to P14 on the power supply board.
It does not run to the IO board in any fashion.

It annoys me greatly, and is costing me money, by cycling my 60 gallon compressor every 15 minutes.
I want it to stop!

WGB, If indeed yours now turns off, will you please take a look at it, and see how it's connected?

I would like to replicate the setup here...

I am ready to add a switch to mine, but would rather not do that, as I will forget to turn it on.

I have even considered setting it up with one of the spare M codes, but then of course it would only run during a program, not setup.

Just a thought:

Double check the label for the solenoid at the plug and make sure it is plugged in to the correct place. Maybe someone at the factory plugging these into the wrong location.

It's plugged in to a socket labeled 115v spare on the Power supply board.
I can find nothing labeled on the IO board that would look like a place for it either.

There are only a few open sockets on the IO that match the plug too.

Back