What's new
What's new

4th axis question

morippums

Plastic
I'm new to Haas and 4th axis stuff. I just recently bought a TM-1P with the 5C indexer. I'm doing OK with positioning with the 4th, drilling holes and such. But now I have a job where I want to mill around the circumferance of a part and I can't fiqure out how to write the feed rate I want. I have been experimenting in MDI and when I input an angle and feed rate say, A180000F10.0 it will just rapid to the 180 angle and seems to just ignor the feed. What am I doing wrong? :willy_nilly: Thanks in advance.....

You have to use a G01 to move the axis.

A0. Z.1 (start .100 above)
G01 Z-.1 F10.(plunge Z .100 DOC)
G01 A180 F20. (Move indexer 180 degrees)
G01 Z.1 F60 (Retract Up to .10 abovee)

Thank You, Thank You, that certainly makes sence. I couldn't find it anywhere in the haas rotary book that came with the machine/ indexer. It deals with using the indexer with one of the remote control boxes. I was really beginning to feel like this guy...:crazy:
I will give this a go and report back....

It works, now that I understand that it is a feed move and is expressed as degrees per second. At first I didn't quite grasp that but after a little thought it makes perfect sense... :) Thanks again....

Also in your setting page you can tell the machine what dia you're working on in the 4th axis. A 20 ipm feed looks a lot different with the setting at 1" than 15".

Also in your setting page you can tell the machine what dia you're working on in the 4th axis. A 20 ipm feed looks a lot different with the setting at 1" than 15".

Good point...or just use inverse time. That way you aren't worried about your feedrate if you have a part with different diameters that you are milling.

Back