What's new
What's new

Cleaning a new Haas TM-2P

KS_WGB

Plastic
I got my new TM-2P last Friday! Now its time to hook it up to power, air and get the tech to come and "set it up". But, before I can use it I need to clean it from a protective grease/wax coat. It looks like cosmoline and its pretty much everywhere. What cleaner should I use to clean it up? Any suggestion are welcome.

BTW, several months ago I posted a question about fitting a TM-1/2 into a garage with a 7 foot tall door. It is possible but it was a challenge. When I have time I will post pictures I took when I reduced the height. FYI, the height reduction instructions are outdated and should no longer be used due to the tabs on the back.

WGB

I have found scraping it off with a hard plastic "wiper" is the best way to remove the bulk of the cosmoline. You can use a caulk removal tool for the corners and a 2" plastic putty knife for the flat portions. Then finish it off with WD-40.

I will try to post some pics tomorrow. I am just beat. Another long day at work and then taking care of family.

WD-40 can get expensive. You can also use diesel fuel.

Mike
Whah??? Who wants to deal with the stink of diesel?
facepalm.jpg

Another vote for WD.

When my VF2 was delivered I religiously followed the pre-install directions, including cleaning off all the cosmoline. When the tech arrived to do the install he said that nobody cleaned the machines and he usually had to do it. When he did a once-over to make sure it was all spic-and-span he used WD40. Wish I had known about the WD40 when I cleaned it.

Eric U

The Haas tech will usually be the one to install the machine which includes a long list, cleaning is among the list. However, a few customers do various things to a machine before the tech sees the machine, including but not limited to cleaning, powering-up, crashing, and running without removing the cosmolene.

Also, Haas changed from cosmolene to SP400 years ago, now we use a product called Castrol SafeCoat DW 33 - http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/b..._assets/downloads/s/as_safecoat_dw_33_tds.pdf

KenFoulks

Thanks for the information. Very interesting. BTW, the Service Tech came today from NYMAT. Brian did an excellent job setting it up, cleaning it (He used WD-40) and explaining all the shining new buttons!

WGB

I just got this machine in my tool room about a month ago. The haas tech took care of the most of the cleaning. Just an FYI, make sure the tech installs the latest update to your control when he comes. I spent about a week working with my dealer and haas, come to find out they had a software glitch in the newer machines resulting in the dxf converter not posting any code. They now have an update that may or may not have made it to your control depending on how long it sat somewhere before you got it. If you use any of the ips features to write programs such as the conversational milling drilling cycles when you get to the write code part all my machine would post was O90000. Handy:angry: once the update was installed it would an entrie program properly. If you are programming with a seperate cam software you wont be affected by any of this.

Good luck I like mine so far.

Jacuzzi - we have the latest IPS version so the problem you described should be solved on my CNC. BTW, white fuel for camping stoves does a wonderful job cleaning up the packing grease.

I recall I had to remove those tabs that you're talking about. The machine wouldn't fit through the garage door so I had to disabbemble much of it and barely made it. I had to use tie dows because that bracket was holding onto the back panel. I can't believe the guys transporting my machine wanted to hammer down those tabs because it wouldn't fit, then they said they had a blow torch and simply torch them :eek: Some of the guys transporting CNC machines aren't the brightest, luckily I was there to babysit them for the entire day.

Back