What's new
What's new

Haas VF2 spindle drive belt question

opit

Plastic
We bought a VF2 (made in 2005) at an auction. We've been trying to clean it up and restore it ever since, but we are worried about the spindle drive. Namely, is the amount of oil on the drive belt (shown in the picture) normal, or does it indicate that we should take the gearbox off and change the pulley seal? We're a small makerspace in Europe, so official Haas service is not affordable unless we absolutely cannot fix something ourselves.
Thanks!IMG_20200430_205723.jpg

Doesn't look too bad to me, I'm no expert however.
Toothed belts like that are really quite responsive to a bit of oil and it can greatly improve service life as some car makers have discovered with internal engine belts, BUT, if its compromising some other system - Better find the source and cure it!

Looks like a normal condition from this vantage. If it runs keep an eye on the oil level and that will answer your question.

OR something that will add valuable experience for you and trouble free service life to the machine. Especially one of unknown service history.

Just my opinion and I am a little OCD. You should do a PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE OVERHAUL.

Complete disassembly of the drive and tool release system. Clean and examine everything. Remove and disassemble the drawbar, check for cracks at the edges of the washers. Clean, lubricate and adjust.

The gearbox is not all that complex. Any leak could simply be a loose fitting or crack in piping. Shaft seals if needed are a common commodity from any bearing house.

Remove and disassemble the drawbar, check for cracking at the inside edges of the washers.

Follow the tool release adjustment procedure when reassembling, I bet it is in dire need.

You effort spent now will pay back with a reliable machine and your knowledge gained.

Everything is in the manual and here to help if you get stuck.

Best of luck!

Back