What's new
What's new

98 VF/4 Pulled X Way Covers. Monkey Poo everywhere? What grease do I need?

countryguy

Hot Rolled
I attached a few pics. We're getting close to complete w/ the full inspection tear down on the used 98 VF.4 Being newbs, What is all the brown goo (a buddy calls it Monkey Poo) that is all over everything under the way covers? Am I supposed to clean that up and re-grease? Is this (or was this) some type of red or EP grease at one time when new?

What should I really do under the way covers for clean and lub?
For now, simply going into clean as best I can and then button it back up. Oh... I do have new oil flow meter/restrictions to replace in there as well. I am going away from the #2 way oil and using the Red Haas lube per their suggestion. This thing is full of black way oil crude so I just feel better putting in the new flow meter devices while in there for the screws at least.

Pics- How does this look for a 20 year old Mill?
IMG-0380.jpg IMG-0381.jpg

Its old way oil. It can't all escape, so it collects and makes a mess. I'd clean it up and move on, its not unusual based on my 96 the way it looked.

Just a short follow up. The X way covers were in pretty rough shape. Heavy rust on the insides!! I mean really bad! All the slide edges and on the long top surfaces that each part slides over. Huge chunks to knock out. I took an angle grinder with a knotted wire stripper wheel and had them clean in about 1 hour apiece. (on a VF 4... ways are pretty long). I lightly oiled it on the inside w/ fogging oil rubbed in to hopefully diminish future rusting... Some light red grease on the edge slide points. And wow... they flew in and out on the long table I used. On the side edges, the Brass is still really worn, but still enough to keep. Many were bent back or out. I put (bent) them all back w/ a jewelers hammer. worked well.
... So, there is life left on old way covers if you ever notice they screech, howl, and just seem to make the X moves noise. Silky smooth now. :-) I wonder if It's possible to put on new brass edge wipers or whatever they are called ?

I cleaned up all the goo, check the screws to insure they had oil on them. Cleaned and inspected the rails for any funny wear marks. I removed all the metal that had made it's way in over time. Looks really good in there for now.

For future newbs! Pull those covers and make em' like new in a few hours.
CG out.

The goo is a combination of oil and coolant residue. My '92 vintage machine had so much I could lift it off with a plastic scraper. Grease is a personal choice, I am staying with the original oil system and use a full synthetic coolant. Synthetic coolant seems to separate the oil out much better with easy pick up with a skimmer besides it having lasted a full two years from initial clean and fill with monitoring ratio and make up and filtering.

I suspect the grease will be its own nightmare over time but annual cleaning should keep it at bay. The covers indeed are repairable, a friend who is an old school body and fender magician took out a large dent and make them smooth & sprayed cosmoline on the insides.

Once you get the area clean and have cleared the drip well and drain you can place a small pail under the drain to catch what leaks past the covers.

It is amazing how long these machines can go with terrible housekeeping, my ocd will not allow it.

It is amazing how long these machines can go with terrible housekeeping, my ocd will not allow it.

In a production shop, it'll be that nasty again in a few months. That's just how it is. The covers keep out the big stuff. Plenty gets by.

Back