What's new
What's new

Another Probe Question

Fellhoelter

Plastic
Ok, so I have just discovered that the Renishaw Probe on my TM-1P is not working correctly.

I just tried setting an offset from a corner for the first time, and I am off in both X and Y by .0625"

Spent the better part of the day trying to sort out the issue, and have discovered the problem, but not the solution.

When Calibrating the work offset probe, Variables 556 and 557 are populated with a number, then those numbers are presumably read by the macros, and used when setting offsets.

Either these variables are being fed a bad number, or I have a parameter/setting askew somewhere.

If I calibrate the probe, I am off when setting an offset by 1/16 inch.
If I go in and manipulate those variables, I can get it to work.
I have to roughly cut them in half.
Not exactly in half though...

Anybody familiar with this issue?

Know a fix?

By the way, this is with a 3mm ball.
Off exactly 1/16 is weird since I am using a metric tool.

I assume that you put in the right diameter for the ring used to calibrate the probe. If that diameter was off 1/8 you would get this result.
Is it one touch or two touch cycles?
There is also a bunch of variables set up in the beginning of WIPS, feed, lengths, back-offs, etc. as far as I remember all these are in imperial units, could it be something there?

One possibility...

Soundalike you are off by a probe tip diameter.

In there somewhere is a place to input the dia of the probe tip, someone may have put in a radius when it should be a dia or vice versa? Or it may be zero.

That parameter should be in settings I think.

Worst case call HFO they should be able to walk you through it on the phone.

I assume that you put in the right diameter for the ring used to calibrate the probe. If that diameter was off 1/8 you would get this result.
.Is it one touch or two touch cycles?
There is also a bunch of variables set up in the beginning of WIPS, feed, lengths, back-offs, etc. as far as I remember all these are in imperial units, could it be something there?
I am using a 1.2500 ring gage, and inputting as such
The probe is metric... Nothing 1/8" or 1/16" about anything, except the bore diameter...
2 touch cycle.
I am expecting a variable to be wrong somewhere, hence the post.
I know nothing about these variables.

One possibility...

Soundalike you are off by a probe tip diameter.

In there somewhere is a place to input the dia of the probe tip, someone may have put in a radius when it should be a dia or vice versa? Or it may be zero.

That parameter should be in settings I think.

Worst case call HFO they should be able to walk you through it on the phone.
The only calibration cycle that has you enter a tip diameter is the IPS version.
But, calibrating is supposed to do just that, calibrate...

Unless I am mistaken, the reason we tell the machine the bore diameter is so that it can calculate the tip.
To just find the center of the spindle, bore diameter is irrelevant.
But, by knowing the bore diameter, it can calculate a tip radius/diameter for x and y offsets.

Did you make changes to your WIPS? You had another post about that. If so have you tried the original WIPS? Very easy to make unintended changes, done it myself.
Is there a diameter or wear value in the offset table for the tool where the probe is? Don't know if it would matter though.

The thing I would double check just because I have seen it before....make sure you are entering "1.250" not "1.125". Had on guy in our shop that made that mistake several times.

Athack

Tentatively solved.

My brand new, 1.2500" Ringmaster is NOT 1.2500.

It is 1.125"

Bastards...

I just lost 8 hours or so trying to sort out this issue.

I'll re-calibrate and see what happens.

Never thought to check the standard, as the standard is what I would use to check other things....

Back