What's new
What's new

anyone got HAAS TL-4?

I really estimate your comments.

Appreciate maybe?

I have looked at them at the show before. Maybe it was a 3? Either way - decent sized machine.

Only issue I had was that there was no turret. Sure - you could use an Aloris for turning tools, but drills on a toolpost is NOT a good deal.

I think they have a turret option for it now?

Chip flow LOOKS to be decent?

For What It's Worth - The only HAAS I have ever ran were rotary products.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox<!-- / message -->

"Zero" and squareness are moving targets on a toolpost.

That's a big machine. Can you imagine wanting to drill a 2" hole with a holder hanging off to the side of a toolpost that spins on a center post? :willy_nilly:

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I agree with OX about pushing big drills.

We have a TL-1 and it works great a turret would be nice.

We do alot of gun drilling with the TL-1 biggest 3/4 x 20" drills, but you don't use alot of force gundrilling.

good luck

There is a video on YouTube of a TL4 making a part. It has an 8 tool automatic turret on it. It looks like a beast of a machine. They were running a .25 doc, something like a .02 feed, and they did some big drilling on it. I was pretty impressed. I don't have a link to the video, just search for Haas TL4.

There is a video on YouTube of a TL4 making a part. It has an 8 tool automatic turret on it. It looks like a beast of a machine. They were running a .25 doc, something like a .02 feed, and they did some big drilling on it. I was pretty impressed. I don't have a link to the video, just search for Haas TL4.

The automatic tool turret is 20K dollars more and less, the dealer in Peru quote me this machine around 197K dollars without automatic tool turret. In fact, i´m not sure to choose the machine that i need, maybe TL-3 B or TL-4.

The TL-3B is not the machine that the TL-4 is. It is too light in weight for the hole. It is not a very good "connection" machine. You will wish that you spent 100k more for the TL-4 real quick!!!

Some for certain have 10" plus spindle bores with the spindle limited to 500 RPM. Don't expect to make speedy little parts on it.

John Oder

Some for certain have 10" plus spindle bores with the spindle limited to 500 RPM. Don't expect to make speedy little parts on it.

John Oder

You´re right, but i only need this machine to make API tapered threads and crossover for Oil Industry.

Just go for the TL-4 if you will be cutting connections. The TL-3B does not have the mass or rigidity to cut large thread forms like IF or Regular.

Hate to revive an old thread but I was just on the haas website and I can't even find the tl-4 listed anymore. I guess they dropped it, anyone have the story on that?

I heard that Haas was redesigning it. I doubt that. That machine was probably not a big seller. It was really an oilfield machine and Haas is not concerned with the oilfield or the need for a big hole. Remember the EC-550 and EC-630 50 taper HM'sC? That didn't last either.

That machine was probably not a big seller.

Frankly, that is the only thing I despise about Haas and their marketing/manufacturing strategy!

If I'm correct, the software is universal, meaning it is either the same or is compiled on the fly to fit the model it is loaded onto.
That is to say that any and all current model Haas lathes or mills use the very same software. Firmware might be different, but I wouldn't be surprized if it's part of the software dump an
is loaded as-needed.
They already have the design made. Good or bad, the design and all the components are designed, manufactured and sourced.

So what is exactly wrong with keeping the model alive as-is and sell it if someone wants the damned things!!!

I have an '01 SL10 with a 10 station / 1" turret. It is the same turret as the SL20, or the current ST20. The SL10 has not been offered with this turret since '02. It is now 12 station / 3/4" stick.
Why not give it as an option!!! I have not one single 3/4" tool, nor do I want one. Most of the "fancy" tools aren't even offered in 3/4", you gotta get custom!
And even more importantly, I can clear the 6" chuck with every single tool on the 10 station. Most absolutely cannot do that with the 12 station!

I also have an '02 MiniLathe. Yes, it has it's handicap, but it is 10 times the machine that the Office lathe is, and 5 times the machine any other gang tool manufacturer makes.
I'd give my right arm to get a new one!

My VF4 has the MOM option. It is a completely external option with only a single connection to the distribution board. External oil reservoir and a nozzle that is bolted onto the P-cool head. That's it for mechanicals!
It is discontinued to the point where new softwares don't even know the G-codes associated with it!

They also had a CNC VTL back in '01. Nothing alike anymore

That TL4 looks like a beast, and it was obviously completed and sold at least once.
Really? A company pounding it's chest about being one of the big guys of machinetools can't purchase and hold onto a few castings specific to a model?
We all know that most of the components are the same on all models!

I'm not asking Haas to make an EDM, Laser, turret punch or even a freakin' manual lathe!
Just make a complete lineup of CNC lathes and mills, and if something sells less than the desired volume after completion, just leave it alone and keep it around at least!

Dont forget about the laser machine they used to have...I always thought that was a pretty good idea as you could process sheet or with one of the big rotary tables you could do tubes. Obviously not a big seller but still you would think that you could still get one if you wanted it.

Charles

Dont forget about the laser machine they used to have...

Charles

Charles, there is a little more to a laser than slapping one onto a router head and call it good.
With that said however, I also find it amazing that all the technology developed by Brother in their EDM lineup has all gone to waste!
One would think that a larger MTB ( not unlike Haas for that matter ) couldn't pick up the pieces and keep it going somehow.

I did have a Charmilles guy tell me that out of the box, fist cut, one cut nothing out there could do the accuracy the Brothers were capable of.

ox,
I drill with a toolpost on my tl-2, your concerns are valid, but my fix was to pin the toolpost to the riser block, and the riser block is torqued to the apron. It works well. Have to use what you have available and be aware of the possible consequences.

Steve

Back