What's new
What's new

Anyone try/using the new style TL lathes? Thoughts?

Stirling

Hot Rolled
Seeing as haas made major changes to the TL-1 and TL-2 lathes, I thought I would see what people think of them so far?

Any difference in rigidity, accuracy, ease of use?
Is the enclosure good?
Looks to be a huge tail stock improvement.
Worth getting a new one or just better off buying a used 2006 for half price?

I've got a small garage shop running a tm-1 and a Tl-2 would greatly improve my offerings while still fitting with my electrical amd weight limits.

And I know it's baby power beside their slant bed. But I cannot pull enough amps and I want the length to be more flexible In what I can offer at this time.

Thanks for any and all input :)

No, it's the first time actually noticing the "new" "TL" ...

But, couple of immediate observations:

1: Now that the enclosure is on, there are no longer manual handwheels. IE why is it called a Toolroom Lathe, moreover, why does it even exist then?

2: They've managed to keep the idiotic 4 station turret, but not only that, they've kept the indexing motor housing nice and high just as before, rendering it useless for
larger tools. ( yes, toolroom guys sometimes use .... well let's just say unconventional tools to accomplish things )

3: The optional 8 station octagonal turret ... nice and small! Any reason they couldn't anti up for a vertical turret on the back side of the machine and keep
the "option" open for a manual toolpost on the front for real tools?

Now, a sidenote while looking at the website.
I've noticed the new CL1 lathe and have just 1 question: WHO in their right mind thinks that an airplane wing door is ever a good idea on a LATHE!!!
Or is a HAAS umbrella a standard issue with them?

I like how the TL lathes comes with no chucks or even a tailstock on it .......... Every one need a tool room lathe with out a tailstock to get in the way of the extra long parts..

3: The optional 8 station octagonal turret ... nice and small! Any reason they couldn't anti up for a vertical turret on the back side of the machine and keep
the "option" open for a manual toolpost on the front for real tools?
I could not agree more here.

And same with the tail stok.
Who buys a 48" z and no tail stock?
But that's just how thy price things there.

Yeah, They look appealing as they have the same control panel across the board(a shit one right now apparently...) but yeah...no handwheels??? WTF? Not even mounted on the door or something? Seriously?

I would rather buy an old Romi or something, even something I had to spend money on to update electronics than by their lathe, just from the stand point of by a tool room lathe for specific purpose.

What kind of money are you looking at spending?

Ps-I operated a small TL-1 lathe back in my school days, and even then I found headaches when it DID have handwheels lol.

Why a TL lathe ?
I have a older nice manual lathe that I use for one off tooling and then the cnc lathes for the production parts .. for the price they want for the TL lathes just buy a nice cnc lathe and if you need a manual one down the road then buy a second machine ... to me a TL is like a shopsmith machine ,, can do about anything but can`t do anything will.

Haas did have a prototype e-handwheel ooption for the new TL lathes at IMTS. It was basically two MPGs mounting in a box with magnets on the back. You could attach it anywhere on the sheetmetal.

Back