What's new
What's new

auger issues with pvc

friesen

Cast Iron
I rcently put an auger in my 96 vf2. It is the 7" spaced auger. I am finding that it will basically feed no chips through, they just boil up at the end. I tried adding a 6" angled feed chute, which has helped, but depending in the chip type, some still won't feed, but pack into the auger until it stalls and reverses.

I have to wonder if the auger should really extend all the way into chute, if in plastic that somehow prevents full flow. One issue I also have is that there is minimal shear in the system, how is stuff supposed to get moving?

Is it still pushing chips out though? It's been my experience that the chips piling up at the end of the auger is just the nature of the design. It pisses me off everytime I clean my machine out and it barely pukes out any chips while piling up and I have to pull them back and spread them out again.

Then again, I do a job in PVC every once in a while that nearly fills a VF3 to the way covers and I've never had issues cleaning it out, aside from the above mentioned issues.

The one time we removed the chute from the machines to move them, I do remember the auger stuck into it about 2-3 inches.

Josh

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

It is marginal, and with this operation I am on now, the chips are 3/8"x1"x.005?? and feed some, but will quit and jam at the end. If I pull all the chips from the chute, they still dont want to feed. Do you have the 5" flighting?

It looks like the material is just spinning in the slick new painted end of the chute. I am thinking about welding some 1/8" x 1/2" bar inside. I experimented with putting a 3/16"x1" bar along the top edge, and material feeds right through.

I've never measured it, 5" sounds right. It's the original auger in a VF3 built in 04.

Maybe the 7" is trying to take too much for the motor to push and that's why it's stalling. I'm not sure what you could do to fix it if that's the case. Maybe lessen the angle of the chute so it doesn't have to fight gravity so much. But even the factory chutes are too short...

Josh

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

It might be a factor, but I can watch it with an empty chute and it doesn't even start to push up the tube, it just rotates.

I rcently put an auger in my 96 vf2. It is the 7" spaced auger. I am finding that it will basically feed no chips through, they just boil up at the end. I tried adding a 6" angled feed chute, which has helped, but depending in the chip type, some still won't feed, but pack into the auger until it stalls and reverses.

I have to wonder if the auger should really extend all the way into chute, if in plastic that somehow prevents full flow. One issue I also have is that there is minimal shear in the system, how is stuff supposed to get moving?

Long heavy stringies and augers don't play well together.
Plastic stringies and augers will have plastic wrapping around the auger.

Auger ends where chute starts the transition upward.

Some don't like the augers...I think they work fine 80% of the time.

For me, it wasn't the plastic wrapping. The plastic chips on my operation were quite springy in bulk. There is only about 3-4 inches of effective shear where the auger meets the chute opening. There is no way this can overcome 8" of auger chute when the chips will only rotate, so the chips would just pack until it couldn't push any farther. Since my mod posted above, I have run around 50 gallons of chips, and they feed perfectly.

So my synopsis is that slick chips won't feed because the system has basically no shear action. Metal chips likely won't exhibit this, because they can grip the chute walls.

Back