What's new
What's new

Besides HAAS where can I get a 3 jaw chuck for a hrt 210

plutoniumsalmon

Hot Rolled
Hello.

I just want to know where a good place to buy one is. Haas is quoting almost 1600$. Are there cheaper options out there? Better? On this site I learned about orange vises and was thinking that maybe you could recommend a good chuck.

Thank you

Bison sells packages with the chuck and mounting plate.

http://www.toolmex.com/Products/BrowseResults.aspx?CatID=2505&Parent=1588|2504|2505

We just got a new hrt210 with the chuck from haas. It was a taiwanese LMC, i cant speak for accuracy yet but its a beautiful chuck. The haas chucks ive seen are either lmc or samchully.

We got a little kalamazoo for a lathe, took 3 months to get and was junk. Sent it back and ordered a bison. They informed us it'll be end of january, at least they were honest.

LMC has their products made 'wherever' and/or by 'partners'. HQ is still in Logansport. Indiana. USA.

Must have decent QC/QA on what they source from or have built to spec overseas, or they'd ha' been mouldy toast long-since.

Bill

Yea i should have mentioned that, i called them and they said taiwan. But it is a very, very nice chuck. More than i can say for kalamazoo.

I used a cheaper 3 jaw chuck on my HRT 310. The faceplate has 6 T slots. I used 3 of them to fasten the chuck to the faceplate. I had to modify the chuck by drilling 3 holes through from the front so I could get allen capscrews to pass.

The other 3 t-slots on the faceplate I used for a sort of 'adjust-true' feature. I made special T-nuts with a short projection out of the top that would catch the chuck rim inside it's locating surface. Then, the lower portion of the T nut was drilled and tapped for a setscrew that is radially arrayed when the nut is installed in the T slot. This setscrew bears against a spacer that is fitted between the T nut and the end of the T slot near the center of the faceplate.

So then I can slightly back off the main mounting bolts, and dial in a part by adjusting the push screws underneath. It's handy as hell, and you can dial in any part, thus making good use of a cheaper chuck. Most chucks will likely get some swarf into the scroll, which might decenter them anyways.

So the choices are Poland and Taiwan? Is there anything domestic? I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the two options, we just really like to support American manufacturing.

So the choices are Poland and Taiwan? Is there anything domestic? I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the two options, we just really like to support American manufacturing.

Yea kalamazoo (supposedly). Thats why i ordered one to support an american company, despite not being able to find one good review online. Well, everything i read was correct. They quoted two week lead time. My vendor started calling them once a week after a month and they'd tell him" oh, we'll send it out friday". This went on for three months. He told them at that point we were looking at other chucks and canceling the order if they couldnt supply one. We got it that week and it was a joke both in operation and apearance. At that point we were fed up and wanted to return it, they got pretty nasty about that. I wouldnt have minded waiting 3 months if it would have been a nice chuck, but it wasnt. I hate to bash an american product(again, so they say) but the whole thing was pretty frustrating.

You can go with the Haas chuck as its easiest as everything is laid out for you to just bolt up and go...

But for me...I looked and looked then got frustrated with the options. When I needed one in a pinch..I walked to back of the shop and grabbed one of the old chucks that seemed to fit the best, made an adapter for it (being a Machine Shop and all, that was not an overly difficult task). worked like a charm.

So the options are buy the chuck and adapter you want or use what you have on hand...or a used chuck from a reseller...when your flexible and not needy in a used tool house the prices can really drop.

Back