What's new
What's new

blew up smartamp servo amps- no fuse? where to start troubleshooting?

MetalManiac

Plastic
overvoltage- vfd and possible servo damage

long story short wiring up a 96 VF machine with 480V nameplate, electrician gave it 480 and all the innards were 230 and side of the mitsubishi went boom. (input cap?). ive disconnected the VFD from iput power so as not to damage other components. trying to get as far as i can to identify anything else that got cooked so i can do it at the same time isntead of waiting for the inverter to be back in service

with the inverter connected, machine throws main transformer breaker upon startup. with it disconnected machine starts up but gives Y servo error

the X and Z axis servo amps were the old style 4015J-A bronze looking models. the old style ones have fuses, neither of which were lit up as blown, and machine not returning errors. green indicator light ok

the Y and 4th axis (4th not in service) were the 32-5550J smartamps. neither of the smart amps will work, neither lights up at all, either green or red. pulled one and there is no fuse to replace.

the old style have low voltage circuits feeding them (like 3 or 4 pin fan headers youd see in a computer)

it looks like the smartamps get whatever power the low voltage headers usually provide, internally from teh 160V DC signal

the 160V DC source for the servos on this machine comes from the N and P1 terminals on the bottom of the (now disabled) VFD. but that doesnt really match the block diagram and imverter manual. is this the correct working or is it some weird hack?

is there a simple board level diode or anything else to troubleshoot on these servo amps? nothing looks cooked on the board at all (at least the top side- i unscrewed all the screws but it appears the board is potted or glued to the heatsink i dont want to mess it up by pulling it unless theres a reason)

what other basic troubleshooting can i do with a meter?

is there a parameter to disable Y axis in order to test the rest of the controls? i cant seem to reset the "102 Servos off" alarm with the y axis hung up (unless theres something else i fried). im thinking the y servo error is just because that one is on the smartamp and has no power source whatsoever without the 160V. the old dervo amps seem to abate the servo error code with that low power source alone?

thanks

Last edited:
ok i got the rebuilt VFD drive back, but still get same errors on startup
power on>
"102 Servos Off"
"149 Spindle Turning"

reset> (spindle turning clears)
reset> (servos off clears)

but then similar errors come up
102 Servos off
170 Phase Loss L1 L2

these clear but come right back

its a long run to the panelboard, but im reading 208.5-210V leg to leg at the input side of the transformer, so i have the leads to the 210-195V terminals. the drive is coming off of the 243-227 terminals and im reading ~243.5 leg to leg at the drive. i understand undersized conductors are a cause of phaseloss errors, but i would think i would see the machine attempting to pull a load before tripping phase loss, voltage doesnt dip in the slightest during any of this startup sequence I gotta think its a fault of the phaseloss monitoring circuit.

any help? started a thread here to no avail:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...e-measured-170-phase-loss-l1-l2-error-334112/

(i also tried to rename tis thread from "blew up smartamp servo amps- no fuse? where to start troubleshooting?" to "overvoltage- vfd and possible servo damage"., but it only changed the sub-title of my first post. im not convinced the servos are bad but not sure how to isolate and test any of this stuff

was hoping when i got the rebuilt drive back at least one of these eroors would be gone... im at a loss.

To disable Axis-

E-Stop

Press "Setting"
Then go to "7" Unlock Parameters Toggle to unlock

Press "Parameters" page to 15 for Y Axis, line down to Disable and Toggle.

You can Page to each of the Axis's to do the same.

Toggle Parameter unlock back, reset E-Stop and give a try.

As to the other questions...sorry abit over my head to offer anything other then call HFO.
Its a Haas, not the best machines but very good Service and Tech Support.

i called haas support they referred me to the original dealer (selway in the bay area) who never returned my call. sounds like im SOL with a used machine in absence of paying a haas tech to come out

i called haas support they referred me to the original dealer (selway in the bay area) who never returned my call. sounds like im SOL with a used machine in absence of paying a haas tech to come out

Yes, factory does direct calls to HFO as HFO is supposed to do the support. Kind of understandable as they train techs and send to HFO's, they are not supposed to be doing the HFO service.

That said...My HFO has been great with support, Allendale NJ, but have had after hour problems in the past, factory being open 4 hours later on the other coast I pushed for help now...and got it.

One time and only one time I was going back and forth with HFO as I couldn't hold size on lathe. Being frustrated I called factory, laid out my issue as I was getting no place with HFO, they forwarded me to a tech and we troubleshot...turns out it was a Thermal Comp problem. Modified a few Parameters and problem solved.

Just saying, push factory as your not getting the care you need from your HFO. If they say your SOL...then that slight Haas edge they have had is gone.

The Edge was machine support...I bought Haas largely due to their support. Take that away, they are just another company selling pricey adequate machines.

Pretty much as SIM note. Once (just once) I could not reach my local HFO tech guys. I called the factory, explained the situation, and had support right then.

thanks for the advice guys. i agree, while i didnt expressly write a check to haas, its poor form for them to not give support to a potential buyer, as a biz owner, i know thats what sets you apart. will pursue

friesen was kind enough to help me out with repairs on the board, reinstalled and phase loss error is fixed.

OK im making some progress. when i start up i still get 120 servos off and 149 spindle turning errors, but the errors are clearable.

I can jog the chip conveyor in both directions.

If i manually zero all the axes individually i can then jog x, y and z so the servos look to be ok

im not sure about the spindle though. i still get 149 spindle turning error when i try to jog with the spindle CW/CCW. It turns a little then errors out. I made a video

SPINDLE - YouTube

thats not the video frames being jerky, the spindle itself looks like its "stuttering". it does 2.5 revolutions then stops at "123 spindle drive fault". the error code on the inverter is "ETHT" (pg 88 in drive manual here:)

https://diy.haascnc.com/sites/defau...pplement/mitsubishi-a200-manual.pdf?0=%3F2395

i can clear it and try again with same result in either direction

i also tried this:
manually zero axes and then go approximately to center of travels and set G54 "work" parameters to zero there

then in MDI mode i entered
G01 G90 G54 X5 Y5 Z5 S0010 M03;

so i was attempting to move 5" in each axis then turn the spindle at 10 rpm clockwise

but it again locks out at "149 spindle turning" when i try to run the program

its as if there is a sensor that mistakenly thinks the spindle is turning and cant proceed

i havent put any tools in the tool changer yet, just trying to master basic operation first.

thanks

Last edited:

Back