What's new
What's new

Bolt-on Vs. VDI turrets on ST-10

anrapa

Aluminum
Hello everyone!

I'm about to order (today) and ST-10 and I can't really find a lot of informations regarding the differences between the two turrets.
The bolt-on is 1800 euro more but I don't understand is there is any advantage over the VDI.
Maybe tool holders are cheaper?
Any suggestion?
Thanks!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro

Only benefit is: slightly quicker tool-change-outs if your VDI tooling is already assembled (you need a lot of VDI holders for that to always be the case)

Bolt-on is much more versatile, AND cheaper. Sounds like a win to me.

Thanks!
The actual turret is cheaper when Bolt-on. Are you referring to the tool holders?
Also: I don't want driven tools so I won't but the 15.000 option for that but I'm interested in the lathe spindle orientation. It seems to be like a poor man version of a C axis. Can it be used for engravings?

Thanks!
The actual turret is cheaper when Bolt-on. Are you referring to the tool holders?
Also: I don't want driven tools so I won't but the 15.000 option for that but I'm interested in the lathe spindle orientation. It seems to be like a poor man version of a C axis. Can it be used for engravings?

No engraving without live tools. Only thing that pops in my head, that would make spindle orientation useful, is broaching.

Too late, but I'm with Wheelie. It may just be the older style of VDI turret with threaded shank, but our SL30 has a severe lack of rigidity that comes down to the VDI turret. Our same-vintage SL20 with bolt-on turret is much better... it may come down to one particularity of one machine or the other, but that's what I see.

The seller said the same, the bolt-on is much more rigid, an additional reason I chose it. Once it gets here in 3 months I will try to make the "poor man c axis" work for engravings on the surface. I only work on brass, rigidity or holding power shouldn't be a problem.

Back